Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
Last Updated on June 17, 2021
count on for you to rest your weary body, but there does come a time when you should switch it for a new one. Beyond the dreaded sag of an old coil mattress there are other factors that answer the question “When should I replace my mattress”? Even a memory foam mattress will need to be replaced for various reasons.
Sleep time is most important for all to have the best health as it refreshes the body and mind to function to its capacity. Giving each their own split-king mattress, placed side by side to create a king size bed, will assure a custom sleep surface fitted to each individual to allow for the best rest possible.
I. What is a Split King
II. The Split King Adjustable Bed Base
III. Split King Bed Benefits
IV. Split King Bedding
I. What is a Split King
It is difficult enough for a couple to get through the daytime hours without having a topical heated debate over some matter – big or small. A split king puts a stop to any bickering about mattress comfort from disturbing each bed partner’s ability to drift off to dreamland.
A. Two Mattresses Equals One
The split king bed is simply two separate mattresses placed side-by-side. This creates the same dimensions of sleep space that a conventional King bed, sized 76-inches wide by 80-inches long, allows.
The mattresses used for a split king are two 38-inches wide by 80-inches long Twin XLs. These mattresses originated on University campuses created to allow extra tall athletes a bed long enough to accommodate their sleep needs. Eventually college dorms transitioned to providing the Twin XL for all students to make dorm life easier for all. What was created for dorm life has been realized to provide a more comfortable home life as well. Parents are opting for the Twin XL instead of a common Twin bed to allow for a child to have ample growing room.
B. Perfect Choice for Couples
Realizing that two Twin XLs make up the same footprint as a King mattress has allowed for mates to place the two Twin XLs together to create a King size sleep space. This allows for each to have a mattress surface that provides individual wants and needs – providing sleep comfort for all.
II. The Split King Adjustable Bed Base
A traditional King bed has been traditionally manufactured with two separate bases to aid in moving. As even the older spring-coil mattresses may be a bit bendable around corners, the solid base needed to be broken up to be moved easily into a home and room. The split King base – as with the split King mattress – is comprised of two Twin XL bases.
The adjustable base is an excellent choice to use for the split King, as it makes the perfect mate for the customized comfort that the split mattress provides each bed mate. Two Twin XL adjustable bases placed side-by-side can be synced together for those using one King mattress, or used independently for the split King mattress bed.
III. Split King Mattress Bed Benefits
The split King has many benefits for couples longing for peaceful coexistence in bed. From simply making a home move easier to aiding in individualized health and well-being needs, opting to have a split King instead of one mattress can help bring harmony to the abode.
A. Resolves Home Moving Issues
The very large sized King mattress can be very awkward to move. Whether a stiffer coil spring bed or a newer, more bendable, memory foam, the immense size of the King mattress can impede on a simple move from one room, or home, to another.
Once the comfy memory King sized foam mattress has been initially unboxed and placed it can be a heavy chore to need to move through doorways, around corners, and up and down stairs. Whereas using two Twin XLs to make up a King-sized bed will also make any needed move much easier. Just as the split base is made for moving one will also have two smaller sections to move – rather than the one immense King mattress.
B. Helps Stop Snoring
So many snoring partners causing a night of interrupted sleep for their mates have also triggered endless arguments and even forced one to move to another bedroom, or worse, the couch. Placing the split King on individual adjustable bases will allow for the non-snoring partner to stop the snoring by raising the culprit’s head to a position that will stop the offensive noise.
C. Ends Motion Transfer Disturbance
The split King bed is perfect for those whose sleep is constantly interrupted by a partner who tosses and turns throughout the night, or is constantly getting in and out of bed. When sleeping on a single King mattress, no matter how good the bed may be as far as feeling motion transfer, one can still be wakened by another who is in continual motion. The split King allows for each to have their own mattress and not feel any movement from the other in bed with them.
D. Allows for Personal Space
Personal space is a craved importance to most. This is essential to have in bed as it is out of bed. Yes, cuddling time under the covers is critical to a harmonious relationship, but so is giving each other their needed space.
When bed time arrives so do different rituals. The split King on an adjustable base will allow for one partner to feel a soothing massage while the other enjoys the relief of pain that the zero-gravity position provides. While one wants to sit up to do some last-minute work, or read, the bed mate can easily get into his or her own comfortable position for drifting off to slumber.
E. Accommodates Separate Sleep Preferences
Side, back and stomach sleepers have different preferences for mattresses. A split King allows for custom needs. While one partner will want a bed firm as a rock, the other may want a plusher top to sink into. The back or stomach sleeper may relish the firmness of a mattress whereas the side sleeper may want a more luxe version or even an added plush mattress topper.
If one bed mate is ill or congested he or she can raise the head of their split side atop an adjustable base, without disturbing the other. When one is nursing a painful leg in a raised position, a mate can still sleep peacefully in a flat position.
IV. Split King Bedding
A split king bed will need slightly different bedding than for a traditional King. The two separate mattresses making up the one bed will each need their own fitted bed sheet. Other than the fitted sheets the split mattresses can be made up as one bed with a single King top sheet along with single quilt and duvet. If one mate gets colder than the other, he or she has the option of adding extra blankets to their own side.
Enjoying a split King bed can be the answer to the dreams of achieving a great sleep while also enjoying the closeness of a partner in bed. Finally, there is an answer to getting sleep even with a partner who tosses and turns all night.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $845 $592Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets