6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
Last Updated on September 18, 2022
Are you searching for a simple way to achieve deeper, more restorative sleep? Many sleep experts will suggest trying a zero-gravity sleeping position if getting the ZZZs you need is a challenge.
To some, this idea may sound like something out of a futuristic science fiction film. But the truth is, zero-G sleeping is completely attainable… when you have the right adjustable frame for your mattress. Keep reading to learn about how the zero gravity sleep position can benefit your well-being, and where to find the perfect mattress/adjustable base combo to get started right away.
Overview: 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
Zero-gravity is defined as a state of weightlessness, which can be achieved by elevating your legs and torso simultaneously when you’re laying down. The top 6 benefits of zero-gravity sleeping include:
- Less neck and back pain
- Reduced snoring
- Improved heart health
- Decreased acid reflux and heartburn
- Reduced swelling
- Better breathing
What is Zero Gravity?
First, let’s explore what zero gravity is. Of course, we know what gravity is: the invisible force that pulls objects toward each other. It’s what causes water to rest at the bottom of a glass instead of floating away.
The definition of zero gravity or zero-G, in contrast, is the state or condition of weightlessness. Think of the last time you visited an amusement park to take a thrilling ride on a rollercoaster. That moment when you hit a loop and feel weightless is what zero gravity feels like. This is because there isn’t a supporting force acting upon your body, keeping you down.
Typically, astronauts floating around in space are the only ones who get to experience zero-G, but that’s all changing. The mattress industry has perfected the adjustable base since it was first introduced 113 years ago in 1909, making a zero gravity sleep position possible for everyone!
What is the Zero Gravity Sleep Position on an Adjustable Bed?
Just as we can thank NASA for the luxurious comfort of memory foam mattresses, we can also thank the space agency for developing the zero gravity position. NASA uses the term to describe the exact positioning for astronauts to balance their weight as they launch into space, which can be observed as a 128-degree angle—give or take 7 degrees, depending on your body size and type. Because astronauts withstand extreme and sudden increases in gravity while exiting the Earth's gravitational pull, it's essential to assume a position that decreases this stress on their bodies.
When we refer to the zero gravity position down here on Earth, we're usually talking about replicating that feeling of weightlessness with the help of an adjustable bed frame placed underneath your mattress. There are also many zero-G lounge chairs on the market due to this position's comfort and benefits.
When you set your bed frame to the zero gravity position, your legs and head are raised at just the right angle to distribute your weight evenly. The angle of the thighs and torso are aligned as the upper body and head are raised a bit, and the knees slightly bend as the legs are raised to about heart level. This position can increase your circulation, relieve back pain and encourage healthy (and relaxed) sleep.
Benefits of Sleeping in the Zero Gravity Position
Pain relief is where zero-gravity sleeping truly shines. Pressure points are relieved in the zero-G position, blood flow is improved, and swelling is reduced – among many other health benefits. But that’s not all that a zero-G adjustable bed frame can do for you! Let’s explore the top 6 benefits of sleeping in a zero gravity bed together.
1. Less Back and Neck Pain
Did you know that the human body has an S-shaped spinal column? With that in mind, it's easy to understand why laying completely flat on a bed each night can add unnecessary pressure on your body as your weight isn't distributed evenly. And as comforting and luxurious as a memory foam mattress can be when conforming to the body, laying flat on any bed can cause (or even exacerbate) neck and back pain by affecting spinal alignment and more.
Since zero gravity evenly distributes your weight, this can relieve a lot of the pressure in your spinal column, neck and back. The result? More leisurely mornings marked by feelings of enthusiasm, joy and refreshment instead of aches, pains and grogginess.
2. Reduced Snoring
With your head slightly elevated in the zero gravity position, your airways are able to function more efficiently as they remain open. This prevents your tongue from slipping back during sleep, which is one factor that is known to cause snoring. You’ll find yourself getting deeper, better sleep when your snoring is finally under control. And we think your sleeping partner will appreciate the quieter rest too (human or otherwise).
3. Improved Heart Health
As we previously mentioned in our article on which side to sleep on for optimum health, we addressed how your sleeping position can affect your heart. The zero gravity position takes extra pressure off your heart, allowing for better blood flow and circulation.
4. Decreased Heartburn and Acid Reflux
If you’re battling acid reflux at night, the zero gravity position may be the solution you’ve been searching for. With your upper body elevated, stomach acids can’t easily travel back up your throat. Health professionals often recommend that people with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) sleep with their upper body elevated. So, if you’re regularly feeling the burn at bedtime, it may be wise to consider elevating your body into a zero-G position.
5. Reduced Swelling
Swelling, or edema, is extremely uncomfortable and can be caused by many medical conditions such as acute injury, liver disease, cellulitis, diabetes and even menopause and pregnancy. If you’ve ever twisted your ankle and gone to the doctor for treatment, there’s a good chance they suggested you follow the R.I.C.E. method, which stands for rest, ice, compression and finally elevation. A zero-gravity base will allow you to stay on top of the contributing factors to swelling and aid in treating injured ankles, legs, hands, wrists and more by facilitating easy elevation each night.
6. Improved Breathing
Allergies, asthma and other respiratory illnesses can wreak havoc on your sleep. Sleeping with your torso elevated in the zero gravity position will reduce the pressure on your lungs and air passages, allowing for better and more relaxed breathing. You’ll also get relief from nose stuffiness, since elevating your head can open up your nasal passages. So, if you’ve been recovering from an acute infection caused by a bacteria or virus, a zero-gravity position may help provide some much needed relief.
Adjusting Your Bed to Zero Gravity
With GhostBed, setting your adjustable bed frame to the zero gravity position is as easy as the push of a button. On your wireless remote, simply look for the preset button labeled “ZG” to activate the built-in setting for Zero-G. The bed will then effortlessly move into position for you. Your feet should be slightly raised above your heart and your torso, and your thighs should be aligned at an angle of about 128 degrees, allowing for a variation of +/- 7 degrees. This position is also called Anti-Gravity and 90/90.
GhostBed’s Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed
Ready to see how zero-gravity can revolutionize your sleep, wellness and outlook on life?? In that case, we suggest considering the GhostBed Adjustable Base which allows for infinite ergonomic positions, including zero gravity. With additional features like 15 whisper-quiet massage modes, under-bed LED lighting and two USB ports, it’s now possible to treat yourself to the ultimate in comfort and luxury for thousands less than other adjustable bases on the market.
GhostBed Adjustable BaseShop Now
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress