Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
Last Updated on October 13, 2020
Combining your high-quality mattress with an adjustable bed frame in zero gravity position will turn a simple bed into a comforting and luxurious sleep experience. The soothing position provides medical and lifestyle benefits that encourage the best of well-being for a healthy and productive life.
I. What is Zero Gravity?
II. What is a Bed with Zero Gravity?
III. Zero Gravity Medical Benefits
1. Less Back and Neck Pain
2. Reduce Snoring
3. Better Heart Health
4. Ease Heartburn and Acid Reflux
5. Swelling Reduction
6. Better Breathing
IV. Zero Gravity Lifestyle Benefits
V. Adjusting Bed to Zero Gravity
VI. Sleep in Zero Gravity
I. What is Zero Gravity
First, let’s explore what zero gravity is. We know what gravity is, of course: the invisible force that pulls objects toward each other. The definition of zero gravity or zero-G, in contrast, is the state or condition of weightlessness. Think of astronauts floating around in space. The impact of gravity is zero, so there’s nothing pulling them in any direction.
II. What is a Bed with Zero Gravity
Just as we can thank NASA for the luxurious comfort of memory foam mattresses, we can also thank the space agency for developing the zero gravity position. NASA uses the term to describe the exact positioning for astronauts to balance their weight as they are launched into space.
When we refer to the zero gravity position down here on Earth, we’re usually talking about replicating that feeling of weightlessness with the help of an adjustable bed frame placed underneath your mattress.
When you set the bed frame to the zero gravity position, your legs and head are raised at just the right angle to distribute your weight evenly. The angle of the thighs and torso are aligned as the upper body and head are raised a bit, and the knees slightly bent as the legs are raised to about heart level. This position can increase your circulation, relieve back pressure, and encourage healthy (and relaxed!) sleep.
III. Zero Gravity Medical Benefits
Most people will seek an adjustable bed frame with zero gravity for its pain relief capabilities. By relieving pressure points, you’ll get better blood flow and less swelling, among other benefits.
1. Less Back and Neck Pain
A flat bed can add pressure to the body’s S-shaped spinal column. As comforting as a memory foam mattress can be when conforming to the body, when it is flat the body will feel pressure as weight is unevenly distributed. This can cause or exacerbate neck and back pain.
Since zero gravity evenly distributes your weight, this can relieve a lot of the pressure in your spinal column, neck and back.
2. Reduced Snoring
With your head slightly elevated in the zero gravity position, your airways remain open. This prevents your tongue from slipping back during sleep, which is what causes snoring. You’ll find yourself getting deeper, better sleep when you’re not snoring as much.
3. Improved Heart Health
The zero gravity position also takes extra pressure off your heart muscle, allowing for better blood flow and circulation.
4. Decreased Heartburn and Acid Reflux
If you’re battling acid reflux at night, zero gravity position may help. When your upper body is elevated, stomach acids can’t easily travel back up your throat. Health professionals often recommend that people with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) sleep with the upper body elevated.
5. Reduced Swelling
Swelling caused by a host of medical maladies can be reduced in the adjustable bed zero gravity position. Those suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, and extra weight will find that elevating the legs promotes healthier circulation and reduces swelling.
6. Improved Breathing
Allergies, asthma, and other respiratory illnesses can wreak havoc on your sleep. Sleeping with your torso elevated in the zero gravity position will reduce the pressure on your lungs and air passages, allowing for better and more relaxed breathing. You’ll also get relief from nose stuffiness, since elevating your head can open up your nasal passages.
IV. Zero Gravity Lifestyle Benefits
Attaining sleep perfection may be a long sought after dream for many who have been striving to get much needed sleep night after night. The adjustable bed base is the perfect investment for anyone who wants to get as near as they can to a perfect sleep.
By being able to be adjusted to one’s own body’s needs, the bed will be able to provide the most comfortable position in which to lull one off to stay in dreamland. This will permit for the proper amount of sleep hours needed to wake refreshed and ready to start the day.
IV. Adjusting Bed to Zero Gravity
Placing the adjustable bed frame in the Zero Gravity position is as easy as the push of a memory button marked Zero Gravity. That said it is worthwhile to understand just what this weightlessness position is.
The Neutral Body Posture position invented by NASA allows for the entire body to be placed into the ultimate state of relaxation. To do this the coordinates of Zero Gravity were determined for a situation to recline the body allowing for the feet to be raised above the heart and the torso and thighs to be aligned at an angle about 128 degrees – allowing for a variation of +/- 7 degrees. This position is also called Anti-Gravity and 90/90.
VI. GhostBed's Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed
Ready to shop? The GhostBed Adjustable Base allows for infinite ergonomic positions, including zero gravity. With additional features like 15 whisper-quiet massage modes, under-bed LED lighting and two USB ports, you’ll get the ultimate in comfort and luxury for thousands less than other adjustable bases on the market.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $595 $446Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets