How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Headboards are a fantastic way to highlight your personal style and add character to your bedroom. But can you still use a headboard if you have an adjustable base? The answer is: absolutely!
Here, we’ll help you understand what to look for (and what to avoid) when shopping for a headboard that will pair well with your adjustable base and mattress. We’ll also share some simple installation tips and tricks to make mounting your new headboard a breeze.
Overview: Using a Headboard With Your Base
Will an adjustable mattress work with a headboard? The good news is, most headboards will work with an adjustable base.
- You can either attach your headboard to your adjustable base, or keep it separate. For the former, you’ll just need to purchase headboard brackets.
- If you have an adjustable base, a floating headboard removes the need for a bed frame altogether.
Benefits of Using a Headboard
Some people might wonder if a headboard is even necessary with an adjustable mattress. While it’s not required, we would argue that there are many benefits to having this extra statement piece.
The first benefit, of course, is personal style. Headboards set your bedroom apart and are an excellent way to show off your personality. There are so many different headboards that you’re sure to find one that suits your desired aesthetic.
Headboards pull double-duty because they protect your wall from damage and dirt. This could include sweat and oil from your head or scuffs and scratches from your bed moving around.
Also, headboards provide extra comfort when sitting up in bed. If you have an adjustable base, you already know about the benefits of sleeping with your head elevated. A headboard provides an extra layer of comfort when you want to sit up in bed (especially when you opt for a plush, upholstered design).
How to Choose a Headboard That Works With Your Adjustable Base
How do you choose the right headboard for your adjustable base? Luckily, most headboards will work with adjustables, as long as you have the right equipment. So, when selecting the perfect headboard, feel free to select whichever one speaks to you!
How To Install Your Headboard in Three Easy Steps
Now, let’s talk about how to attach your headboard to your adjustable mattress. Here, we’ve provided a step-by-step guide to make the process as easy as possible. Keep in mind that these steps are specific to our GhostBed Adjustable Base.
1. Gather your equipment (including headboard brackets)
The first step to attaching your headboard is to gather all your equipment, including a wrench or socket set with a ½ inch adapter. You will also need some nuts and bolts, as well as a set of adjustable bed headboard brackets. You will also need two mounting adaptors.
When installing your headboard, make sure that your brackets are a universal fit, meaning that they fit a wide array of headboard heights and sizes. If you plan to mount the headboard against the wall, you’ll need additional parts—these will usually come with your headboard itself.
2. Attach the headboard brackets
The process for installing your headboard brackets and adaptors will vary depending on your headboard design, size and style. Generally, you will secure the mounting adaptor to the bed frame using a few bolts. Next, you will attach the headboard bracket to the mounting adaptor. Make sure to keep a 1- to 2-inch gap between the edge of the bed and the headboard brackets. This is because you’ll need a bit of clearance for raising and lowering the base once it’s in position.
3. Tighten all the bolts
Lastly, make sure all the bolts are tight. If they seem to be loose, tighten them all the way.
What About Floating Headboards for Adjustable Beds?
With a floating headboard, you’ll mount it to the wall alone instead of the bed frame. As you can see in the picture above, you can use a floating headboard with your adjustable base alone, eliminating the need for a separate frame. With that in mind, you will mount the headboard to the wall like you would with anything else heavy that you hang on the wall:
- Use a level to draw a horizontal line where you want the headboard to go.
- Use a stud finder to locate studs along this line.
- Attach brackets to the wall to ensure that your headboard is securely attached.
Floating headboards are a great decor piece, are easy to install and don’t have to coordinate with any particular bed frame or bracket types.
An Adjustable Base & Headboard: The Perfect Pair
Opting for an adjustable base for your bed is a great move that is sure to improve your quality of life. And the good news is you can attach nearly any headboard to your adjustable base, as long as you have the universal adaptors to help. Our headboard brackets are designed to accommodate virtually all headboard styles and can be adjusted to the exact width, height and distance from the wall that you need for a fully customized sleeping experience.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets