GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
Last Updated on August 9, 2022
Use this bed & mattress size guide to find your perfect fit.
Shopping for a new bed? If you’re not sure about the mattress size you need, we’re here to help. While you probably know about the basic sizes (twin, full, queen and king), there are also a few more size choices that might be adding to your confusion. To determine the right bed size for you, you’ll need to think about a few guiding questions:
- How many people will be sleeping on the bed?
- What’s your body size?
- Do you like to spread out or snuggle when you sleep?
- Do you want extra room for pets or kids to join you?
- What size is the room you’ll be placing the mattress in?
- What’s your budget?
Keep reading and we’ll share our guidance on choosing the right size mattress based on your answers to these questions!
Overview: Mattress Sizes
|Size (Width x Length)||Best Choice For...|
|Twin||39" x 75"||Kids, teens|
|Twin XL||38" x 80"||Kids, teens who need extra leg room|
|Full||54" x 75"||Teens, adult single sleepers|
|Queen||60" x 80"||Couples, especially those who want more space|
|King||76" x 80"||Couples, especially those with larger bedrooms|
|Cal King||72" x 84"||Couples, especially those who like to spread out|
When choosing your new mattress, be aware of the size of the room that you will be placing it in. Measure your room and furnishings, and plot your floor plan on graph paper to double-check that everything will fit well.
Twin Mattress Dimensions - 39" x 75" (inches)
A twin size mattress is the perfect bed for a child to a young adult, especially in smaller rooms. At 38 inches wide by 75 inches long, this compact-sized mattress sleeps one person comfortably. Two twin beds may be used in rooms that siblings share, whether set up parallel to each other or as part of a bunk bed. This is also a common mattress size for a daybed in a guest room.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a twin bed varies from 7 feet by 10 feet (minimum) to 9 feet by 9 feet, depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Twin XL Mattress Dimensions – 38” x 80” (inches)
The extra-long twin, or "twin XL," is most commonly used in college dorm rooms. This 38-inch wide by 80-inch long mattress adds a few inches to the more common twin size, allowing a taller adult to sleep comfortably. Two twin XL beds placed together are approximately the same size as the common king size bed, so it’s a great option for couples who want to sleep together but prefer different types of mattresses.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a twin XL bed is 8 feet by 10 feet (minimum) to 9 feet by 9 feet, depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Full Mattress Dimensions – 54” x 75” (inches)
Full size mattresses are sometimes referred to as double mattresses or double beds. These mattresses are 54 inches wide by 75 inches long. They work well for one person but can fit two cozily if you have a smaller bedroom. This is a good transition mattress to update a child’s room as they grow older and taller.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a full bed begins at 9 feet by 10 feet (minimum) to 10 feet by 12 feet, depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Queen Mattress Dimensions – 60” x 80” (inches)
The queen size bed, at 60 inches wide by 80 inches long, is one of the more popular mattress sizes for couples; two can sleep comfortably on it, but it doesn’t take up as much space as a king or California king size.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a queen bed begins at 10 feet by 10 feet at a minimum, and up to 10 feet by 14 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
King Mattress Dimensions – 76” x 80” (inches)
If you like your space when sleeping next to your partner, opt for the 76-inch by 80-inch king mattress. Due to its larger size, you’ll need a solid foundation to support your mattress, and you’ll want to make sure your room is large enough to accommodate it! This is a great bed if you want the option of inviting pets or kids to join you as well.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a king bed begins at 13 feet by 13 feet up to 13 feet by 19 feet, depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Cal King Mattress Dimensions – 72” x 84” (inches)
Slightly narrower and a bit longer than the traditional king bed, the California king mattress is another popular option for couples. At 72 inches wide by 84 inches long, this mattress size is perfect for taller people who want a bit more legroom—or want extra space for a fur baby at their feet. This is also a common size to pair with an adjustable base, allowing sleepers to elevate their head and/or feet comfortably.
Room Size: The recommended room size for a Cal king bed begins at 10 feet by 12 feet or up to 13 feet by 19 feet, depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
What About a Split King?
For couples with different sleeping styles, choosing a split king mattress may be ideal. This mattress size is the same as a regular king mattress, but it’s actually made up of two separate twin XL mattresses placed side by side. Most couples pair it with two adjustable bases to allow each person to customize their comfort settings. Plus, two separate bases and mattresses are much easier to move than one large unit, whether that’s to a different side of the room or to a new home.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress