Mattress Size Guide
Last Updated on October 13, 2020
Mattress Size Guide
Use this mattress dimension guide to find your perfect fit.
So it is time for a new mattress and perhaps also time for you to rethink the mattress size that you want. No longer are there just the basic twin, full, queen and king, there are also a couple of more choices of mattress sizes added to the mix and confusion. Prior to shopping for the perfect bed it is important to analyze specific wants, needs and size of area that the mattress will be making home.
When choosing your new mattress, be aware of the size of the room that you will be placing it in. Measure your room and furnishings and plot on graph paper your floor plan with doors and windows. Make sure that the King size bed that you are dreaming about will comfortably fit in with your furnishings.
Twin Mattress Dimensions – 38” x 75” (inches)
The twin size mattress is usually the perfect bed for the child to young adult. At 38-inches wide by 75-inches long this compact sized mattress will sleep one person comfortably. Often two twin beds are used in rooms that siblings share. This is also the common size of mattress for a lovely day bed in a guest room as well.
Room Size: The recommended size for a Twin bed can vary from 7 feet by 10 feet or up a minimum size 9 feet by 9 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Twin XL Mattress Dimensions – 38” x 80” (inches)
The extra-long, XL, twin size bed is more commonly known for being used in dorm rooms. This 38-inches wide by 80-inches long mattress adds a few inches to the more common twin size in order for a taller adult to sleep comfortably. It should also be noted that two XL twin beds placed together are approximately the same size as the common King size bed. This is perfect for mates who want to sleep together but prefer different types of mattresses.
Room Size: The recommended size for a Twin XL bed can vary from 8 feet by 10 feet or a minimum size 9 feet by 9 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Double Mattress Dimensions – 54” x 74” (inches)
Double size mattresses are often referred to as double beds. These mattresses that are 54-inches wide by 74-inches long work well for one person but can fit two cozily for smaller sized rooms. Often this is a good transition mattress to update a child’s room to a more adult themed décor as the young one reaches high school age.
Room Size: The recommended size for a Double bed can vary from 9 feet by 10 feet or up to 10 feet by 12 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Queen Mattress Dimensions – 60” x 80” (inches)
The Queen sized bed, at 60-inches wide by 80-inches long, is a most popular sized mattress for its ability to sleep two mates together comfortable as well as being able to fit into most room sizes. This mattress has become so popular that many also opt to use it in a child’s room that is on the larger size.
Room Size: The recommended size for a Quuen bed can vary from 10 feet by 10 feet or up to 10 feet by 14 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
King Mattress Dimensions – 76” x 80” (inches)
If you like your space when sleeping next to a mate, then opt for the 76-inches wide by 80-inches long King Bed. You will want to make sure that your room’s dimensions will accommodate this larger bed size. For those who opt for this bed and need a traditional foundation, note that two split box springs are used in order to allow them to be moved more easily around tight hallways and stairs. This is also a great sized bed for those inviting the pets and kids in to sleep or to just enjoy a Sunday morning tradition of family bed time.
Room Size: The recommended size for a King bed can vary from 13 feet by 13 feet or up to 13 feet by 19 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
Cal King Mattress Dimensions – 72” x 84” (inches)
Longer but narrow
Slightly narrower and a bit longer than the traditional King bed, the California King bed is gaining popularity. This 72-inches wide by 84-inches long bed is perfect for taller people who could use a longer bed to sleep more restfully. As adjustable bases have grown in acceptance, for more than those needing a hospital type bed, this size mattress has become a common mate with its extra length allowing for head and feet to be elevated comfortably.
Room Size: The recommended ideal size for a Cal King bed can vary from 10 feet by 12 feet or up to 13 feet by 19 feet depending on how much furniture you have and how much walking room you want around the bed.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $595 $446Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets