4 Common “Problems” with Split King Adjustable Beds—Solved
Last Updated on December 1, 2022
At GhostBed, we're big on adjustable bases. In fact, my wife and I sleep on the GhostBed Adjustable Base every night. Since its release in 2017, our split king power base has become a cult classic, garnering thousands of 5-star reviews.
But still, many people aren’t very familiar with them. So if you’ve got questions, you’re not alone.
Are there any disadvantages to a split king? Will the two beds slide apart? Will you feel the gap in the middle? Keep reading as our Showroom Manager, Greg, tackles the top 4 “problems” our customers ask about before making their adjustable bed purchase.
Meet Greg, Our Showroom Manager
Greg knows a thing or two about sleep. With nearly three decades in the industry, he’s worked at some of the top mattress companies in the United States. There’s no one better to tackle your adjustable base questions.
For the rest of this blog, I sat down with Greg to understand the top 4 most common adjustable bed base “problems” people ask him about. Why "problems," in quotes? Because, fortunately, they are all easy to fix. And in many cases, you’ll realize they’re not an issue at all once you set up your adjustable base.
Let’s dive right in!
1. What to Do About the Split in the Middle
Love the idea of sleeping alongside your partner but with your own separate mattress? The split king is the perfect choice for you. But if you’re concerned about the split down the middle, you’re not alone.
The reality is that most people don’t actually feel any kind of gap. We design our mattresses with the split king size in mind, so they fit snugly together.
If you do feel the separation, try these options:
- Use zip ties, a bungee cord or velcro straps to secure the legs of the two bases together. Our split king mattresses come with velcro straps that you can use for this.
- If you have laminate, hardwood or tile flooring, pick up some non-slip furniture coasters. Furniture coasters will create friction and keep your bases from migrating apart as you get in and out of bed.
- You can also pick up a “bed wedge” or “gap filler.” This accessory is usually made from memory foam. You can place it between your mattresses to smooth things out. Keep in mind that if you opt for a gap filler, however, you won't be able to operate your two bases independently.
- Try using a king-sized mattress topper. Our topper comes with a cover that features our signature GhostGrip elastic band around the edges, which helps keep things snugly in place. As with the gap filler option, using a king-sized topper means you won’t be able to raise one side of the bed at a time.
- Add a headboard. A headboard will keep your mattresses stationary and secure. If you already have a headboard you love, great! All you need to make it work is a set of headboard brackets, which we sell separately here at GhostBed.
And don’t worry, your split king won’t side apart while getting intimate. The last thing you want on a romantic night is your beds separating.
2. How To Keep Mattresses From Sliding On An Adjustable Base
Another common worry is that the two mattresses will shift or slide on the base as you’re elevating your head and/or feet. The good news is this is quite rare.
If you do experience any shifting, Greg recommends placing a clean, new rug gripper pad between your base and mattress to create traction and keep things in place.
Well, that’s settled!
3. How To Make The Bed With An Adjustable Split King
If you’re in the final steps of the adjustable bed buying process, you may wonder, “how do I get sheets on this thing?”
According to Greg, many people also ask what kind of sheets to get and if it’s difficult to get them on correctly, given the split in the middle. Don’t worry—it’s actually quite simple!
Here are the steps:
- Slide the mattresses apart just slightly.
- Hold the “Head Up” button on your remote to raise the head on both sides of the bed.
- Place one twin XL fitted sheet over the head of one mattress.
- Move to the foot of the bed and pull the sheet over the bottom corners.
- Select the “Flat Position” button on your remote and watch as the GhostGrip elastic band helps pull everything into place.
4. How To Afford an Adjustable Bed
We understand that price is a concern for many people when buying an adjustable bed base. Power bases are more expensive than traditional bed frames. That’s a fact. But it’s kind of like comparing apples to oranges.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when considering the cost:
- An adjustable bed base is an investment in quality sleep that can pay dividends.
- Adjustable beds can have incredible health benefits. How much do you value feeling vibrant and rested in the morning?
- At GhostBed, we offer financing options (some as low as 0%). That way, you can make monthly payments that fit your budget.
- Many adjustable base manufacturers offer warranties on their power bases. The GhostBed Adjustable Base, for example, includes an industry-leading limited lifetime warranty. It’s an investment you can count on for many years to come.
Another tip: we’re always running fantastic sales and promotions on our adjustable base. Especially on our adjustable base and mattress sets! You’ll be the first to know if you join our email list.
We hope this article has helped clarify some confusion surrounding buying and using an adjustable bed base. Remember, our Sleep Experts are always available to answer any questions you may have about shopping for a split king or setting up your new bed. So don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More