Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
Last Updated on January 10, 2022
& Disposal Guide
The Best Way to Remove Your Old Mattress
Start Enjoying Your New Mattress Now.
Evaluate Mattress Condition
To make an educated decision on how to handle a mattress disposal it is important to evaluate the condition of the bed. One should look for stains, rips, frayed fabric and edges, and compression. If the mattress is in fairly-good shape, then selling or donating could be options. When the bed looks like it has seen better days then one will need to arrange for mattress disposal or recycling. Of course, any mattress with bedbugs will need to be disposed of.
Mattress Donation Options
There are several options one can consider for where to donate a mattress that still has life in it. Donating a mattress allows for one to give back to society, and may even give one a tax write-off.
OPTION 1: Thrift Shops and Charities
National charities, as well as local ones, often have their own thrift stores in which they will take mattress donations. These charities will either resell the mattress or find someone struggling financially in need of a bed. As every service has their own policies one should contact each charity and service to see if they accept mattresses and can arrange pick-up. Here are a few national resources to consider for mattress donation:
Habitat for Humanity
Restores has home improvement stores throughout the nation. They sell building supplies and furnishings. All proceeds go to help Habitat’s work in the community and world. Each location is unique in what donations they may accept.
has long been around to aid those in need. They have many thrift stores where they sell furnishings and clothes.
is a wonderful resource that helps locate a charity that will accept a mattress donation as well as clothes and other household items. This service arranges for free pickup.
Furniture Bank Assosiation
works to find items like mattresses, and other furnishings, that people want to donate to someone else who needs it but lacks financial stability to purchase.
OPTION 2: Places of Worship and Shelters
Local places of worship as well as local shelters often welcome mattress donations for those they know who are in need of a place to lay a weary head. Some may be able to arrange a pick-up while others will ask one to arrange to drop off.
Mattress Recycling How-Tos
Recycling a mattress means one is helping the environment by preventing a mattress to be destined as landfill. Whether finding a recycling center or using the DIY approach it is a fairly easy task to recycle a mattress.
OPTION 1: Find Recycling Center
With so many recycling centers now working to improve Earth’s wellbeing there may be a local one that will accept large items like a mattress. Make some calls to see if there is a center close by that will take a bed.
There are online resources available to aid one in finding a center for mattress disposal:
OPTION 2: DIY Recycling
For those who like a hands-on approach, or are looking for a family endeavor, it can be a fun task to rip the mattress apart for a DIY activity. One can even make some extra cash when selling any metal parts, such as coils, for scrap. Once the mattress is taken apart, the individual recyclable pieces can easily be moved to a recycling facility. Although this task may take a bit of time it can save the money it may cost to haul away the entire mattress. Parts that will end up separated can be: a wood frame, steel springs, polyurethane foam, and other types of foam. Video how-tos are available to help guide on the deconstruction of a mattress.
OPTION 3: Creative Repurposing
When tearing apart the mattress one may feel their minds start working with imaginative ideas on what the mattress parts can be repurposed for. Foam can be used as a padding for a pet bed. Springs can be repurposed to create a wine rack or plant pot holder. Have fun with using imagination to reuse parts from the old mattress.
Mattress Selling Tips
Selling a gently used mattress can be a great option to make a bit of extra cash while getting someone else to pay to haul away the old bed. Offer it for cash or free. Even if giving away one may still be ahead by not having to pay to have it hauled.
Tip 1: Sell Locally
Call friends and family to see if anyone is in need of the mattress that is seeking a new owner. Word of mouth often will help find the bed a new home in a quick fashion.
Tip 2: Sell Online
The mattress can also be posted to offer it for cash or free on a local Facebook page, Craigslist or the OfferUp App
Mattress Disposal Choices
When there is no other possibility it is time to look at the several mattress disposal options left. From town waste services to paying to haul the mattress away there is an option to remove the old bed before the new one arrives.
Waste Disposal Service
Many towns and cities offer waste disposal services for those who live in the municipalities. Simply call the Department of Waste Management to find out if this is an option, and if so, how to arrange for a pick-up. This service is often free or at a very low charge.
One may not have any recourse but to hire a company to haul the mattress away to a dump, recycling center or a charity. Discuss this with the company that the new mattress is being purchased from as they may be able to help arrange to take the old mattress for a small fee. Many local moving companies provide services to pick up and haul away a mattress. 1-800-Got-Junk? and College Hunks Hauling Junk both offer mattress removal at a minimal charge.
One advantage to living in a larger apartment complex is the use of dumpsters. This could be a viable option to toss the mattress as long as it will fit inside the dumpster and not be sitting on the ground next to it.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $895 $627Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets