What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Did you know that your go-to sleep position can affect your overall health and wellness? It's true! If you're a side sleeper, the side you roll over to once it's time to turn out the lights may be a simple matter of comfort. But you might be surprised to find out that sleeping on your left side is known to provide additional health benefits.
Overview: What's the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
Long story short, the left side is the best side for sleeping when it comes to your health. According to researchers, left-side sleeping encourages better digestion and lymphatic drainage, boosts brainpower and reduces snoring.
9 Benefits of Sleeping on Your Side
While the left side may be the “best” for your health in most cases, there are some caveats. Take a look at the 9 benefits below, and keep in mind that some are specific to sleeping on your right side, instead.
1. Aligns Your Back
Side sleeping aligns your neck, head and spine, keeping everything in a neutral position and relieving unnecessary pressure on your muscles and nerves. If you often wake up to pinching nerve pain, or an achy lower back, you may want to consider sleeping on your side.
2. Reduces Snoring
Does snoring keep you (or your partner) awake at night? If the answer is yes, experts suggest you may want to consider side sleeping. Sleeping on your side keeps your airways open, reducing—and sometimes even eliminating—snoring altogether.
If sleep apnea is a concern, a 2011 study found that side sleeping decreased the frequency of obstructive respiratory events in patients experiencing mild and severe disease.
3. Cuts Down on Aches and Pains
Many medical experts suggest sleeping on your side if you suffer from a chronic or acute pain condition such as fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), arthritis or a simple muscle pull. Because side sleeping reduces pain in the hips and back, it can cut down on unnecessary aches and pains throughout the night (especially important for expectant mothers!).
4. Boosts Brain Power
A 2015 animal study found that side sleeping helps the body remove toxins from the brain and may even decrease the risk of neurological disease. Although their findings await testing in humans, academics posit that a lateral sleep position helps to remove waste products, including those in the brain.
5. Helps Your Heart
One caveat to the left-side list is if you have a heart condition. A 2018 study found that sleeping on the left side caused the heart to shift and turn. The results could be observed by watching electrocardiogram (or ECG) activity while subjects slept. When the study participants slept on their right side, ECG activity was almost indiscernible.
Wondering why that is? The researchers in this study found that when you sleep on your right, the heart is held in place by the fine layer of tissue between the lungs called the mediastinum.
And when you consider the fact that over 80% of your heart is on the left side of your body, it makes complete sense that sleeping on your right side is a better choice for those with concerns about heart health.
6. Aids Digestion
If you experience heartburn, acid reflux or indigestion at bedtime, you may benefit from sleeping on your left side. In fact, research has shown a higher incidence of acid reflux when sleeping on the right because it relaxes the muscles between the esophagus and stomach. When these muscles relax, digestive acids can creep up towards your esophagus more easily.
When it comes to indigestion, the left side should be your first choice because both the stomach and the pancreas are located towards the left side of the body. According to Healthline, sleeping this way can help you better digest your dinner (or midnight snack) because your stomach will more easily channel its gastric juices while encouraging your pancreas to secrete important enzymes.
Note: An adjustable power base may also help in your quest to eliminate bedtime digestive issues.
7. Assists with Lymphatic Drainage
Some people who get armpit pain from sleeping on their side may think it's related to lymphatic drainage. But it's often from another condition called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome triggered by pressure on the bursae (a thin membrane of tissue that counters friction at a joint). Swollen lymph nodes are usually a result of infection from viruses or bacteria, and they can be incredibly uncomfortable.
So, if you're looking for an idea on how to sleep comfortably with swollen lymph nodes, experts recommend shifting over to your left side, allowing your body to filter lymph fluid and waste through the lymph nodes.
8. Reduces Pressure on Your Abdomen
If you suffer from an enlarged spleen, you will want to sleep on your left side. If you sleep on your right side, there will be more pressure put on the abdomen, which will make it more challenging for this blood-purifying organ to do its essential job of filtering out waste. The waste substances transported through the lymph vessels will reach the spleen much easier if you sleep on your left side.
9. Encourages Healthy Sleep in Pregnancy
According to Mayo Clinic, left-side sleeping is the ideal position for healthy sleep during pregnancy, both for the mom and baby. Left is the superior choice because it prevents the excess weight from being applied to the liver and improves the necessary circulation to deliver crucial nutrients to the baby.
It's Time to Pick a Side
Overall, the best side to sleep on is left for various health-related reasons. But remember, it will always depend on your individual health condition and concerns. As always, it's best to speak with your doctor before making any significant changes in your lifestyle that may affect your health. But based on the research we've uncovered, the left side tends to be the best option for most people.
One universal tip everyone can use to amplify the health-boosting benefits of sleeping on their side is to be sure you have the best mattress for side sleeping. A memory foam mattress with a medium-plush feel (like our GhostBed Luxe ) should do the trick.
And don't worry if you roll over onto your back or stomach in the middle of the night. You can always quickly roll back over to the left side and get back on track.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets