Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
Last Updated on June 19, 2022
Bed sheets need regular washing maintenance to upkeep a clean and healthy bed for promoting a wonderful beneficial sleep. Following specific steps will allow for one to be sure that new bedding and existing sheets have been washed and dried properly.
Everyone needs sleep, but even more important is that children need the right amount of mattress hours in order to help them develop and grow mentally and physically. It is vital to get the best mattress for kids, as experts’ state that 40 percent of childhood is spent sleeping.
Different stages of childhood need varying amounts of sleep. Guidelines showcase that as a child grows their sleep pattern will change and adjust. Caregivers should be aware to make sure that a child is getting the proper number of hours sleep that he or she needs. Babies require the most amount of sleep and then the hours drop off from there. In order to get the best sleep possible, it is a must to get the mattress that will best promote a good night’s sleep for your kid.
I. Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
II. Pregnancy Sleeping Q&A
III. Pillow Support for Pregnant Sleepers
IV. How Much Sleep is Needed While Pregnant
I. Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
Proper positioning for the pregnant woman is vital for comfort and well-being. Before even heading to bed it is important to have a quality comfortable mattress to provide support for the best of sleep possible. With the aid of a great bed, certain sleep positions can help in relieving some pregnancy health issues such as back pain and heartburn.
Stay on the Left
The American Pregnancy Association promotes side sleeping –particularly on the left side. This position is best for moving blood and nutrients from mom’s heart to the placenta by providing the most direct route. While staying on the left side to sleep, the baby will be getting the optimal nourishment needed. This position also works to provide comfort to mom by reducing pressure on the liver and keeping the uterus from being compressed. In addition, more productive breathing and relief from back pain can be achieved from side sleeping.
Back to Relax
For those who just cannot seem to stay on their side then the next best position is to lay down on the back in a reclining position. An adjustable bed base is best for this position as it offers a reclining head mode as well as zero-gravity. In lieu of a bed base that adjusts, one can use pillows to prop up to situate for sleeping reclined. This position is perfect for mommy’s who are seeking relief from heartburn.
Stomach? Not Happening
Although you may have been a stomach sleeper before pregnancy it is obvious your belly will be getting a bit too round to find this position to be comfortable. Even if your mind tries to tell you to sleep on the tummy, your body will shout no and quickly move you to the side or back.
II. Pregnancy Sleeping Q&A
Is it okay to sleep on the back while pregnant?
It is important to note that a pregnant woman should never sleep on her back in a totally flat position as this will cause the uterus to press on the spine, back muscles, and major blood vessels. Mom may experience hemorrhoids and a drop in blood pressure as well. Also in the flat-on-the-back position baby will not get the proper blood flow from mom that is needed. In the third trimester sleeping this way can also increase the risk of a stillbirth.
Does it really matter what side to sleep on while pregnant?
Sleeping on the right side may not increase any health risks. That said, it has been discovered that a mommy-to-be and her baby will get the best benefits to health and comfort when sleeping on the left side. Along with helping the flow of blood and nutrients from mommy to baby, the left side position also aids in the kidneys to rid the body of waste products and fluids.
How can i help myself to stay sleeping on my side while pregnant?
If you are not generally a side sleeper you may need a bit of assistance to help your body find comfort in this position. Try placing a pillow to wedge your back as a way to prevent from rolling over.
Will sleeping on my stomach while pregnant be detrimental to the baby?
Sleeping on the stomach may be okay when your baby bump has not popped yet but as your belly grows your body will naturally move away from this position. If you do manage to fall sleep on the stomach with your growing belly it can put pressure on the baby squeezing it between your spine and the mattress.
III. Pillow Support for Pregnant Sleepers
A New Pillow
It may be time to change the pillow your head rests on as you change sleep positions due to pregnancy. For those who previously slept on their stomach or back, and are now switching to the side, you will want a pillow that is the right height to position the neck so that it sleeps straight. It is important to make sure that the body and head are aligned. Having the head too high or low could possibly cause headaches along with pain in the neck and shoulders.
Pillow Under Top Leg
Place a pillow that has loft, not between the legs, but, under your top leg as you lay on your side. You will want to keep the hip at the same height as your knee and foot. Make sure the pillow is at a comfortable height so that you do not experience painful pulling on the hips or lower back. Keeping your leg aligned with your hip will prevent your body from twisting. This allows for aches in the lower back and hip to find relief by relaxing muscles.
Wedge the Belly and Back
The wedge pillow is a must-have for comfort. This pillow is perfect and works just as it sounds. Wedge the pillow under the belly to give it support as it grows. This will help keep the body in alignment as you sleep for a more comfortable night. Tuck a wedge pillow under the back for support as you try to find a comfortable side sleeping position.
A Pillow Hug
To keep the shoulder from pushing too much into the breast area, a sensitive place during pregnancy, simply hug a favorite head pillow, or even a new stuffed animal you have gotten for baby. This keeps the arms from falling forward as you sleep to prevent pulling pain.
Full Length Pregnancy Pillow
The pregnancy body pillow is often a great solution for those who want one simple pillow to maneuver to lend support. There are several types of body pillows for pregnancy – some are simply straight while others are curved. These are specifically designed to cuddle and hug. Try wrapping legs and arms around it while allowing it to give support to the belly.
IV. How Much Sleep is Needed While Pregnant
A pregnant woman is generally going to find that she will be craving more sleep, and even cat naps, now that she is sleeping for two. With pregnancy, the progesterone levels rise to support the growth of the placenta and the baby’s demand of nutrients. As the belly grows, putting pressure on the bladder, mommy may find sleep disrupted more as she needs to get up for bathroom breaks.
Sleeping on the left side will be optimal for finding the best way to stay asleep as long as possible. As the pregnancy moves on to the final trimester heartburn may also be a factor awakening mom. Finding a comfortable position with the help of the right pillow can help mom get the sleep she needs. Some say that this sleep disruption while pregnant is to prepare mommy for the sleepless nights taking care of baby after birth.
Try to reduce fluids right before bedtime to help reduce the need to wake to go to bathroom. Certainly, avoid foods that will produce heartburn, and may cause insomnia, and a bit of exercise during the day can also help with achieving the sleep at night that is needed when pregnant. It is most important for the pregnant woman to listen to her body and take a rest when she feels tired.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress