Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Pregnancy is a blessing and exciting time in a mother’s life, but it can also be a time filled with discomfort, particularly while attempting to sleep. It is important to understand that while pregnant one is sleeping for two. For the best health of mom and baby it is necessary to understand how to best sleep while being pregnant, as well as what is best to do to promote a great sleep.
I. Importance of a Great Mattress
II. Best Sleeping Poisitions
III. Adjust Daytime Routines
IV. Bedtime Guidance
I. Importance of a Great Mattress
Being pregnant and attempting a comfortable night’s sleep can often be a daunting experience, much like Goldilocks seeking the bed that is just right. A mattress that is too firm can also be too hard for the mama to be as it presses on the extremities. Yet a very soft mattress, that may feel comfortable at first, can cause support problems.
The expectant mom is experiencing all sorts of pain and soreness as her belly grows. The mattress needs to be properly supportive, keeping the body in as proper alignment as possible.
Firm Mattress Pain
The mom to be seeks comfort at night for a rejuvenating sleep. The firmer the mattress the more pressure mommy will be feeling on resting joints and bones.
Hips and shoulders get hit the most since they are the parts of the body that stick out most when lying on one’s side. A firm mattress does not allow for weight to be cradled just right so that the entire body is cradled evenly for the best comfort and sleep.
Unsupportive Soft Mattress
The soft mattress can fool one at first as mom sinks in believing that a mattress that feels like a cloud is definitely the comfort that she seeks. Soon though, the sinking sensation becomes a trapped feeling that offers no support and makes it difficult for mom to get out of bed.
The soft bed causes the heavier parts of the body, the back and rear, to sink in instead of gently holding them supportively. With no proper support there is poor weight distribution that will lead to an uncomfortable sleep time.
Universal Mattress Support
When seeking that just right bed, the pregnant mom will find that a universal medium memory foam mattress will be the best choice. Its multi-layer construction allows for a sense of firm support from the bottom layer with a touch of softness built in. All the body parts are held just right without the sinking in feeling.
Getting up to use the bathroom multiple times at night will be easier for mom with the universal supportive memory foam, as she will not be fighting a mattress that is holding her in. Also a nice addition to the layered foam is a cooling factor built in to keep mom cool and comfortable for the best sleep possible.
II. Best Sleeping Positions
Without being pregnant sleep positions can cause issues. Add pregnancy to the mix and your sleep position becomes a vital necessity for a healthy baby and a good night of sleep. Different sleep postures can increase pregnancy discomfort, such as back pain, heartburn, and shortness of breath.
Move to the Left
Sleeping on one’s side when pregnant is recommended, specifically the left side. The American Pregnancy Association promotes sleeping on the left side. It allows for increasing the best flow of blood and nutrients from the heart with a more direct route to the placenta, helping to nourish the growing baby. Sleeping on the left reduces pressure on the liver and the side position alleviates compression on the uterus. Side sleeping also allows for better breathing and back pain relief.
Recline to Back
If the side position is just not doing it for you, or late pregnancy is causing just too much discomfort in bed, then move to the back but in a reclining position. Lying flat on your back is a no, no. This is not healthy as the uterus will press on the spine, muscles in the back, and major blood vessels. Lying flat on the back reduces the flow of blood to the baby, can cause hemorrhoids, and a drop in blood pressure.
Think of the comfort of a reclining chair and replicate that in your bed. The new adjustable bases are perfect for this, but no worries because pillows work too. Prop your upper body up with comfortable pillows. The reclining back position is great for moms suffering from heartburn.
Stay Off Stomach
Although this may have been your choice of sleeping before pregnant, obviously, a growing belling makes it impossible to seek sleep in this position. Your stomach will certainly be telling you to roll over if you attempt this position.
III. Adjust Daytime Routines
Short Naps Only
Babies want to sleep and so does mom with a growing belly. Naptime is great but too long of a nap may keep one sleeping at night. Make sure to not nap for more than 30 minutes to keep the body from going into a deep sleep cycle. Take a few half hour naps scattered throughout the day to help with combatting fatigue.
Organize and Delegate
As the belly grows so do the nesting instincts and need to get things accomplished in anticipation for the bundle to arrive. Take control of the situation by organizing thoughts, and what needs to get done, on a to-do list. Do not try to do it alone. Delegate jobs to household members who want to help prepare for the new arrival. As items are taken care of you will be able to rest.
Keep the body moving and physical. Light physical activity is known to improve the quality of sleep. It will also help you get back your pre-baby body weight a lot quicker after baby is born. Just make sure to calm the athletics down within three hours of bedtime to allow the body to calm and relax as it readies for slumber.
Improves Circulatory Health
Left side sleeping has been seen as a way to promote better circulation throughout the body by relieving the pressure on the vena cava. The vena cava is the largest vein in the body and is located on the right side. Vein experts promote sleeping on the left side to decrease varicose veins.
Think small when eating. Keep portions on the petite side as to not overfill yourself. Instead of three meals a day, consider splitting it into six smaller meals. Large meals can result in reflux pain, especially when it comes to time for lying down to sleep. Keep snacks healthy. Protein based snacks, such as Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and eggs, can aid in helping you to fall asleep. You will also want to stop the caffeine as it can add to the urge to pee.
IV. Bedtime Guidance
Turn Off LED Lights
Electronic and clocks all seem to be powered with bright lights. These lights in a dark room can interfere with the melatonin needed to induce sleep. Turn off or cover any of these small lights. Plus, it is not a great idea to have a clock staring you in the face to watch as it ticks away time as if teasing you about not being able to sleep.
Teach your body how to relax by turning off your brain that is working overtime. Do some deep breathing exercises as you focus on putting yourself peacefully to sleep. Working up from your feet, contract and then release all of your muscles until you fall into slumber.
Cool Down the Room
Pregnancy plays with the hormones and can make you run hot. A cooler room will invite comfort and sleep.
Sleeping positions, as well as routines throughout the day and at bedtime, will help for getting the best sleep during pregnancy. You will want to assure that daytime activities help in how to best sleep while pregnant. When it comes to bedtime sleeping on the proper mattress on your left side is most important.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets