Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
Last Updated on November 21, 2022
It's no secret that college is a challenge. You'll need to learn (quickly!) how to balance academics with extracurricular activities and more. If you feel like you're running on empty after a few months, you're not alone!
And while pulling all-nighters may be tempting, research has shown that quality sleep is essential for academic success. Unfortunately, most students don't realize the importance of a comfortable mattress until their first night on a tired, old dorm bed. If you're heading off to college, you’ll want to have a comfortable place to sleep from day 1.
Luckily, we have an easy and luxurious solution: a comfy, cozy and cooling memory foam mattress topper.
Why You Need a Mattress Topper for College
Unfortunately, many college dorms come with old, worn-out mattresses that are incredibly uncomfortable. This is because most colleges provide firm mattresses in an attempt to make them last longer. But the problem with this cost-saving strategy is that it often results in a less-than-stellar sleeping experience. This is because only 33% of people prefer a firm mattress, according to a study commissioned by the Better Sleep Council. That leaves the rest of us out of luck.
How to Pick the Perfect Mattress Topper for Your Dorm
Dorm beds can be a bummer. But the good news is it's easy to make your bed more comfortable by adding a mattress topper from GhostBed.
If you're looking for a dorm mattress topper, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind:
- Consider the material. Some standard options include memory foam, latex and down. Each has its pros and cons, so you'll want to choose based on your preferences back at home.
- Think about how thick of a topper you want. In order to soften up a too-firm mattress, we recommend looking for a topper that’s around 3” thick.
- Don't forget cooling materials. If you tend to sleep warm, look for a mattress topper made from cooling materials like gel memory foam.
- Compare prices. Don’t go cheap for your mattress topper, but know that you also don’t need to spend a ton. Shop around, and don’t forget to look at customer reviews! Our GhostBed Mattress Topper, for example, has hundreds of positive reviews, like this one…
- Size. Most college dorms have twin XL mattresses, which are 38 inches wide by 80 inches long. You’ll want to select a mattress topper that matches the size of your mattress. Not sure what size your dorm bed will be? Call your admissions counselor and they'll be happy to fill you in on all the details.
- Finally, consider the style of the topper. Some provide targeted support for specific areas of the body, while others deliver a general all-over comfort. Each provides its advantages, but we're fans of a more targeted approach to comfort.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can narrow your options and find the perfect mattress topper for your home away from home.
Best Mattress Topper for College: GhostBed
The gel memory foam in our mattress topper offers the perfect blend of reliable support and plush, cooling comfort. Contoured from head to toe, this 3" thick topper features targeted zones that make it feel like sleeping on a cloud. Plus, it includes a deep-pocket, waterproof cover to protect it (and your mattress).
Bonus: If you’re doing some last-minute back-to-school shopping, most GhostBed orders ship within 24 hours!
GhostBed Memory Foam Topper
3” of contouring & cooling gel memory foam, with a deep-pocket waterproof cover included.Shop Now
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More