Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
Last Updated on September 26, 2022
When it comes to mattresses, size definitely matters. And if you're trying to decide between a California king and a traditional king, it's essential to know the difference between the two. In this blog post, we'll share the differences between the two sizes, answer common questions and help you determine which size is right for you.
Overview: California King vs King Mattresses
A regular king mattress is 76 inches wide by 80 inches long. It's ideal for couples who need more space to spread out or those who co-sleep with children or pets.
A California king is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long. It's best suited for taller people and those who would like their pets to sleep at the foot of their bed.
King vs. California King? Consider These Factors
How do you decide which size is right for you? Consider these 3 key factors below.
Both mattress sizes will be appropriate for a bedroom from 10 x 12 feet and up, but the shape of your room matters too.
- If your space is narrow and long, a California king will fill it better.
- If the room is wider, a king-sized bed should be your pick.
It's also a good idea to keep at least 2 feet of walking space around your bed so you can quickly and easily move about. If you plan to have a wardrobe or another piece of large furniture nearby, this will also factor into what size bed you get.
If you or your partner are six feet tall or more, then it's likely that any bed will feel too short. If this sounds like something familiar to you—don't worry! California king size mattresses have an extra four inches in length, making them more comfortable for the lofty among us.
Sleep Preferences & Habits
Restless sleepers need more wiggle room to stay comfy. If this sounds like you, you'll enjoy the extra width that a traditional king bed provides. As for sleeping positions, if you sleep straight as a board through the night, a California king and its narrower width should suffice. But if you or your partner likes to sprawl out or sleep in the “starfish” or fetal position, go with a standard king for a little more personal space to work with.
California King Mattresses: Pros & Cons
First things first: why is it called a California king, anyway? There are a few stories floating around out there, including speculation that it was created for Hollywood stars and their fabulous homes. Others say it traces back to a Los Angeles mattress maker who simply decided Californians had big enough houses to fit a larger bed.
Pros of a California King
A California king bed is perfect if you're 6'2" or taller. But it still serves as a luxurious choice for the shorter folks among us too! If you like to sleep with furry friends at the foot of your bed, a Cali king is perfect as it gives you plenty of room.
Here are a few additional reasons why you may love a California king bed:
- A California king takes up less width in your bedroom, so you'll have space for other furniture or to move around freely.
- Some of our customers also report that they sleep better on a California king because they don't feel as confined.
And remember, California kings aren’t just for tall people and couples! If you’re single and love to stretch out when you sleep, the California king might be the right fit for your needs.
Cons of a California King
The California king has become much more common since its initial debut. And the cost is more accessible than ever before. However, this size of mattress still lags in popularity behind the much more common king-sized bed.
- With a narrower width than a king, the California king provides less room across for those who sleep as a family.
- It's also smaller than a king when you look at surface area. A California king has 6,048 square inches of sleeping space, while a king boasts 6,080 square inches.
Can King Sheets Fit a California King?
If you’re wondering whether king sheets will fit on a California king, the answer is no. King size sheets don’t work well on California king mattresses because they are 4 inches wider and 4 inches shorter than a California king. While you can try to stretch them in a pinch, you’ll likely find your fitted sheet bunching up in areas or even popping off in the middle of the night. And no one wants that!
King Mattresses: Pros & Cons
King size mattresses are everywhere these days and are no longer reserved for royalty. What’s not to love about a big, comfy bed that is nice and wide? Although 4 inches wider than a California king, a king mattress is 4 inches shorter. Let’s see how that difference comes into play below.
Pros of a King Size Bed
A king sized bed is perfect for sleepers 6’2” and under. It easily fits into a master bedroom that’s at least 10 feet x 12 feet.
Additional benefits of a king bed include:
- It’s perfect for couples where one is known for being a “covers hog.”
- It’s a great size if you invite your kids or pets into the bed with you.
Cons of a King Size Bed
King size beds have a couple of cons, though, including the fact that they may not be long enough for taller people. Additionally, king beds may not fit well in narrow rooms.
Comparison Chart: King vs. California King Mattress
To help you quickly compare the difference between a king mattress and a California king, we put together this handy comparison chart below:
I. Comparison Chart: King vs Queen Mattress
|Width||72 inches / 183 cm||76 inches / 193 cm|
|Length||84 inches / 214 cm||80 inches / 203 cm|
|Personal Width||36 inches / 91 cm||38 inches / 96.5 cm|
|Ideal for||Large master bedrooms||Large master bedrooms|
|Size Overview||The California King is longer than a King, but slightly narrower.||The King is 4 inches shorter than the California King but 4 inches wider.|
We hope this article & chart have helped you better understand how California king and king mattresses differ and assisted you in making the right decision. If you’d like one-on-one help with weighing your options further, we recommend that you reach out to our Sleep Experts. We’d love to help!
If you’re sharing a bed, minimal motion transfer is key. Look for materials like memory foam and pocketed coils to ensure that when you move around or get out of bed, you won’t wake your partner up!Compare Mattresses
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress