Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
Last Updated on August 2, 2020
The coil spring mattress traditionally came with its boxspring mate. The two pieces together made up the bed. Now there are other alternatives of foundations for one to place their mattress upon. Depending on the type of mattress, preference of sleeping and type of décor one prefers, the once necessary boxspring may no longer be considered one’s best and only option.
A Box of Springs
Exactly how it sounds, the boxspring is an actual box filled with springs designed as a mate for its mattress to sit on top of. The original design of the boxspring is a wooden box crafted to contain coiled springs that are tied down and covered with cloth to act as a supportive spring bed for the mattress. Spring coil mattresses are designed in coordination with their matching boxsprings so it is typically advised to not mix a spring mattress with a boxspring that was not made to be mated with it.
The boxspring and mattress are usually placed on a bed frame. As a companion to the mattress the boxspring serves three purposes.
- It serves as a lift to raise the mattress in order for one to have the bed at a comfortable height in order to easily get into and out of bed.
- With its spring coils mating with the mattresses spring coils, the boxspring works to take in some of the shock from normal use, as well as serve to help limit any undo wear to the mattress.
- The boxspring is made to be a strong and sound structure the same size as the bed specifically for the mattress to have a flat stable foundation to lay on top of.
An important issue to remember when considering the boxspring is that it arrives as a solid piece of furniture the size of the mattress, although King beds often have two split boxsprings. Unlike the mattress it cannot bend at all. This is important to understand when moving a boxspring up a flight of stairs or around tight corners. If purchasing a box spring make sure to measure and verify that you will be able to get it into the bedroom.
Foundation of Choice
For those choosing a mattress, other than a coil spring there is no need for a boxspring at all. Even those who still have a spring mattress can opt for a different type of foundation. Although the old box of springs type foundation is no longer the only choice, one will want to still use a foundation for their mattress in order to lift it off the floor and away from dust and allergens and make it a decent height to effortlessly get in to and out of bed. A foundation can be crafted from a solid wood platform or using a frame with wood slats.
With no need to have a box to hold springs for a mattress, there are multiple foundation choices for you to use for a mattress.
- An unassuming wood platform foundation will give the décor a clean and neat appearance. This contemporary look can be achieved with a floating solid wood shelf on top of a base or mixed with metal legs. Headboards and footboards can be added as well depending on preference.
- A plain solid wood box can easily be assembled in the bedroom as a foundation for the mattress to be placed on. GhostBed is the only online mattress company that offers a matching boxspring for their bed. The GhostBed wood foundation is ready to be assembled complete with a cover designed to match the GhostBed memory foam mattress.
- Drawers and doors are perfect to give a foundation the double duty of holding up a mattress as well as providing much needed useful storage space neatly under your bed. There are even ottoman foundations that have mechanisms to lift up a mattress to reveal storage space underneath within the frame of the foundation.
- The adjustable foundation base is gaining in popularity as more people use their mattresses for more than just sleep time. This base turns the bed into a giant lounger that allows one to raise their heads and feet for ultimate comfort to snack, read and watch TV.
A boxspring is a foundation although not every foundation is a boxspring. The foundations crafted with spring coils are the only authentic boxsprings. Only spring mattresses will have a need for an actual boxspring, while foundations of choice can be used for just about any type of mattress. Along with choosing the mattress that is the best option for your needs you will also want to put into consideration what your needs and wants are for its foundation.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $545 $409Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Remove Urine from Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets