Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
Last Updated on August 2, 2020
Once you have decided on the mattress that you want you now have the question, “Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress”? The answer is that your mattress does need a foundation but it is your choice as to what you want and need in that foundation.
A boxspring is the traditional foundation for the old-style coil spring mattresses that were originally the mainstream mattress of choice. Exactly as it sounds, a boxspring was originally designed using a wooden frame box that contained springs and was covered in cloth to serve as a base for the coil spring mattress. The mattress and boxspring where mated to make up the complete bed. The job of the original boxspring was to make sure that the mattress was supported correctly. Now there are multiple foundation choices for you to use for a memory foam mattress.
Choosing to place a mattress on the floor will certainly achieve a minimalist look for the décor and give one the ultimate support for their mattress. This though also invites dirt and dust to be swept up onto the mattress and into your face as you sleep, making it an unhealthy environment. It is also going to be difficult to get out, or up, from bed as well as you will have to fall onto your mattress instead of getting comfortably into bed.
Boxspring vs Box Foundation
Although they may still be referred to as a boxspring, a box foundation looks like the traditional boxspring but does not contain the springs. These are wonderful for they serve well as a strong wood support to a mattress but with the look of the matching traditional boxspring. GhostBed is the only online mattress company that offers a matching boxspring for their bed.
The solid wood GhostBed boxspring is easy to assemble. Once the frame is screwed together and wood slats are screwed in place, the fabric cover, that matches the GhostBed mattress cover, is fitted over the box to complete the foundation. The mattress atop the matching foundation can be placed on the floor or low frame. This mattress and foundation set in matching tufted gray fabric covers look lovely together.
Platform for Unique Décor
Placing the mattress on a platform type base raises it off the floor and gives one many options for their décor. There are two types of platform beds; solid wood and wood slats. A solid wood base is exactly as it sounds. It is as if placing the mattress on a floor. Wood slats placed close together no more than two inches apart inside a frame provide a solid base as well.
Adjustable Base as Extra Comfort
Want to really enjoy a full mattress experience then go all out for the ultimate adjustable base. Think of an entire bed turned into your favorite recliner. These bases have motors that adjust the lead and leg positions using a remote control. Adjustable bases are perfect for those with health problems, or who have pain, allowing one to adjust the bed just right for comfort and sleep. Often an added amenity in these bases is a massage feature as well. Some even include USB inputs for easy connecting to tech devices when in bed.
Whatever you decide to use as a base for your mattress you will want to make sure that it will properly support your mattress in order for it to have a full and productive life. You also should make sure that if you are purchasing a solid frame foundation that you have the room for it to be able to be delivered to your bedroom. Small stairways and hallways may not accommodate the moving in of large pieces of solid furnishings. For the same reason a buildable foundation should be put together in the room that it will be residing in.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $545 $409Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Remove Urine from Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets