What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
Last Updated on September 18, 2022
Did you know that the global textile industry has one of the largest ecological footprints of any industry? In fact, each year it produces more Co2 than all worldwide air and sea traffic.
Surprising, right? But here's the thing: we all need to use bed sheets every night, so what can you do to help keep our environment safe for future generations while still getting the coolest, most luxurious sheets out there? We have a solution! Purchase sheets that are OEKO-TEX® certified.
Not sure what OEKO-TEX® means or how to know if your sheets are certified? Stick with us. In this article, we tell you all about what makes sheets OEKO-TEX® certified, why you should buy them and how to shop for them from the comfort of your home.
Overview: What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
OEKO-TEX® is a label found on textiles that ensures that the product you're buying is safe, and that the manufacturing process is environmentally friendly and ethical for workers. If you see this certification, you'll know that your sheets are rigorously tested for harmful chemicals and heavy metals. We are proud to report that our luxury GhostSheets are MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® Certified.
What is OEKO-TEX® Certified Bedding?
OEKO-TEX® is a label found on all sorts of textiles and leather products. It ensures the manufacturing process is environmentally friendly and safe for workers, and that the product itself is tested for harmful chemicals and heavy metals.
There are several tiers of OEKO-TEX® certification. Today we will be focusing on two of the most common: OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 and MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX®.
OEKO-TEX® 100 Standard
When a product carries the label of STANDARD 100, you can be sure that every component of your fabric has been tested for harmful substances and will therefore not cause any health risks to you or your family.
Independent OEKO-TEX® partner institutions conduct these tests according to extensive criteria, including testing for heavy metals, phthalates, formaldehyde and pesticides. The certification is broken down by different “classes,” depending on the type of product and how much skin contact is typically involved. Bedding, for example, is part of its second Product Class, alongside other textiles that come into direct skin contact like underwear and shirts. Products for babies and toddlers up to 3 years of age have the strictest guidelines to follow.
MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX®
The MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® label takes things even further. Textiles are tested for all of the same harmful substances as the STANDARD 100, but the certification takes another step up by reviewing the manufacturing process itself. This certification guarantees you're getting a top-notch product with environmentally friendly practices put into place, as well as ethical standards for workers.
MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® certified bedding, like our GhostSheets, must be:
- Produced in an environmentally-friendly fashion
- Safe for consumers
- Socially responsible
- Traceable with transparent supply chains
To learn more about the specific benchmarks required to earn the MADE IN GREEN Certification, visit the OEKO-TEX ® website.
OEKO-TEX® vs. GOTS
There are many different certification designations used in the textile industry that you can look for to ensure you are getting the most Earth-friendly option. The two most common certifications available are GOTS, which covers "organic" products, and OEKO-TEX®, which recognizes organics and non-organics.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is an internationally recognized certification for textiles made from natural fibers. It ensures that the fabric contains at least 70% organic natural fibers and does not contain any chemicals like bleach, formaldehyde or other toxic substances; it also meets other strict social standards in order to earn this distinction.
OEKO-TEX® certification means that the manufacturer has taken additional steps to ensure your textiles are safe at the time of production. However, both have strict testing standards in place, so you can be confident about what's on sale when buying anything with either logo!
Sleep Soundly with GhostSheets
Whether it's high time to replace your old bed sheets, or you're just looking to make a more ecologically responsible choice for your family's linens, GhostBed is here to help. We are proud to say that our GhostSheets are MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® certified, so you can sleep soundly knowing your bedding is safe and environmentally friendly. (We've actually been leaders in the eco-friendly space since the very start!)
Questions? Reach out to our Sleep Experts today.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress