Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
Last Updated on October 13, 2020
Mattress firmness does not exclusively refer to seeking a firm or hard bed. Instead it’s more of a scale describing the feeling of a very soft bed to one that is very firm, generally referred to as the “mattress firmness chart.” Different people have their own requirements when it comes to mattress firmness. Although there is a mattress firmness scale from 1 to 10, the firmness of a mattress is dictated by the feel when you first lay down on it. A mattress that has more push back is considered firm, while a mattress that engulfs you like a cloud will be seen as soft. The universal medium firmness that most sleepers appreciate is a combination of sturdy push back coupled with a hug as it softly contours the body.
I. Mattress Firmness (1-10)
II. GhostBed Mattress Scale
III. GhostBed Mattress Scale
What is Needed for your Mattress Move
While the firmness of a bed may be personal, there is a mattress firmness scale from 1 to 10 to assist in understanding choices from a soft to a medium, to a firm mattress.
Mattress Firmness Chart
The mattress firmness chart helps aid buyers in their quest of selecting the right firmness level that will fit their needs and wants to achieve a great rest.
|Mattress Firmness||Firmness Scale||Sleeper Type||Feel|
|Soft||1-2||Lightweight Side||Plush like a cloud
Deeply hugs body
|Hugs and contours to body|
Those with back pain
Enjoyed by most
|Slightly more bounce/contours to body|
Those with back pain
Feels like sleeping on top of the mattress, not in it
GhostBed Mattress Size
The family of GhostBed mattresses aim for universal comfort for all with their medium-firm level of firmness, and are perfect for bed partners with different firmness needs. Each of the choices of GhostBed mattresses have their own unique qualities to give the perfect rest for dreamland comfort.
The GhostBed is GhostBed’s original mattress. This bed comes in with a medium-firm level of 7 to 8 on the firmness scale. The mattress has just enough softness to relieve pressure points, yet firm enough to support the body and keep the spine aligned to provide the best rest and pain free waking. Side, back and stomach sleepers will appreciate The GhostBed.
The GhostBed is GhostBed’s original mattress. This bed comes in with a medium-firm level of 6 to 7 on the firmness scale. The mattress has just enough softness to relieve pressure points, yet firm enough to support the body and keep the spine aligned to provide the best rest and pain free waking. Side, back and stomach sleepers will appreciate The GhostBed.
Choosing a Soft, Medium, or Firm Mattress
Even with the universal appeal of the medium-firm mattress people will still want to investigate their options of different firmness levels. With around 80% of the population enjoying the medium-firmness level most will find themselves loving this mattress firmness.
Those who love sinking into a bed may love the soft mattress on the 1 to 2 firmness scale at first, but for the long term may prove to provide little support eventually leading to discomfort.
Lighter weight people and side sleepers tend to like a softer mattress more than others. Those who have a lighter body weight may appreciate the cradling feel that their smaller bodies won’t get from a firmer mattress. Side sleepers will get the contouring needed to support protruding shoulders and hips as they are kept aligned with the spine.
Sufferers of pressure point pain will also appreciate a soft mattress that supports joints and bones with its hugging capabilities.
Step 3: Clear Path to Vehicle
Like the soft mattress, a medium-soft is good for those seeking relief on pressure points. Where a soft mattress may sooth a body it may prove to be too soft for those who require a higher level of support for the spine. It also is not good for those who are heavier in weight as they may feel like they are sinking in too much without needed support.
The medium-firm mattress of 5 to 7 on the firmness scale is viewed as ideal and known as a universal firmness as a result of its popularity.
Most sleepers seem to prefer this firmness for its balance of providing contouring comfort along with supporting spinal alignment. This type of mattress will generally please back and combination sleepers and those with back pain. It is ideal for bed partners of different weights. Those who enjoy a softer bed will appreciate the hug and contouring while those who like a firmer mattress will enjoy the medium-firm support.
Firm mattresses, falling on the firmness scale between 7 and 10, are good for back and stomach sleepers, but may prove to be too hard for those who suffer from joint pain.
This firmness level will give you the feeling of laying on top of a mattress and not in it, with very little sinking. Side sleepers will find themselves uncomfortable on a firm bed as it does not provide any cushioning to take pressure off protruding joints and bones like the shoulders and hips. With little to no sinking in airflow is promoted on the firm mattress.
While firmness level is a matter of personal preference, most people have been known to enjoy a peaceful slumber on a medium-firm mattress. When choosing a firmness, it is important to consider factors such as support requirements, position of sleep, body weight, and if you have a bed partner.
- Side sleepers will need a softer, more contouring bed to cradle the pressure points of the hips and shoulders while a back or stomach sleeper will want a firmer mattress to promote proper spinal alignment. The medium-firm of 5 to 7 is perfect for all sleep positions.
- The heavier and larger person will need a firmer mattress that will hold the heftier weight. A more petite person will require a softer mattress so that he or she may get contouring that would not be felt with a lighter weight on a firm bed. A medium-firm mattress will provide the support needed for the heavier soul while also providing just enough soften to caress the lighter weight sleeper.
- The medium-firm mattress generally wins ahead of all other firmness levels. For those who have trouble deciding, or for those sharing their bed with a partner, this universal firmness level of 5 to 7 is the go-to choice.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $595 $446Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets