Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
Last Updated on September 26, 2022
Are you shopping for a mattress? If you’re on the heavier side, you need the right amount of support, without sacrificing comfort. Keep reading to find out our tips for selecting the right mattress for you.
Overview: Best Mattress for Heavy People
The best mattress for heavy people is one that offers the right balance of sturdy, high-quality coils for a bit of extra support and just the right amount of comforting and contouring memory foam. Reinforced edges can also help to provide a larger sleeping surface. For all that in a medium-luxury feel, we recommend the GhostBed Flex.
No matter what size a person is, all require the best night’s sleep possible. Heavy people are presented with specific issues when it comes to sleeping. Extra weight laying on organs can cause a number of problems that may impede sleep.
With 65 percent of Americans now being called overweight, it stands to reason that those who carry extra pounds may be seeking a way to sleep better. One thing to take in mind is that the heavier person may require a specific type of bed complete with the best mattress for heavy people.
Sleeping Problems for Heavy People
Being heavy can cause a disruption in breathing that can lead to snoring and sleep apnea. Excessive fat restricts airways in the throat. This can make the airway collapse, presenting a breathing disruption. For those who have mild issues the fat will lead to snoring. More severe problems will result with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea means that the person is having problems with absorbing carbon dioxide. This means that he or she is not breathing like they should, as breathing will stop and restart throughout the night and into waking hours.
Restless legs is a syndrome that creates leg discomfort in the laying down position, with the only relief to the individual is to constantly move the legs. Research has indicated that the dopamine released from the brain in an overweight person is involved but it is not completely clear why.
Sleeping Positions for Heavy People
The ramp position has the heavy person flat on their back but with the entire bed tilted up at the headboard. Surgeons have found that heavier patients’ breathe better in this position with the head tilted up at a 25 percent angle from the feet. Oxygen can be increased by 23 percent. Raise the entire head of bed to create a ramp like surface to sleep on. This can be accomplished by shimming up the feet at the head of the bed by about four inches with blocks of wood.
Another way to keep the head raised and air flowing for a better sleep for heavier people is to sleep on the back in a reclined position. This can be done by using a special sleeping recliner chair as a bed or to have an adjustable base that can raise the head as if in a recliner.
Sleeping on the side has been determined to be healthier for breathing purposes when heavy people are sleeping. Researchers have determined that those who are very overweight can have more problems with sleep apnea when laying on their back as opposed to the side. The upper airway will have less chance of collapsing when laying on the side, thus allowing for a better sleep.
Sleeping Tips for Heavy People
- Positional therapy will help those with positional obstructive sleep apnea. This is when one is sleeping on their back and the tongue folds back into the throat to prevent airflow. Professional therapists work with patients to train them to sleep on their sides. The bumper belt is a great positional therapy tool. Bumpers sit on the back of the belt that keep a person sleeping on their side.
- An adjustable base for the bed is a wonderful option for the heavy person to gain comfort when it comes to sleeping. This can be a best bed frame for heavy person since it works much like a recliner chair for optimal positioned comfort. The frame allows for the head to be raised as well as knees so that the heavy person will retain a comfortable position in order to sleep through the night. A memory foam mattress is a great mate for the adjustable base since it is easily bendable.
- Adding a combination of shaped slanted positioning pillows known as wedge ramps can be used to provide an opportunity for raising the head and adding comfort raising the knees as well. The pillows work together as well as apart to create a customized comfort platform to sleep on.
Sleeping FAQs for Heavy People
Does being heavy affect sleep quality?
Obviously, this answer depends on the definition of determining how heavy the person is. Those who are very obese will have more discomfort as they will find it difficult to move in bed as well as have issues with obstructed airways when laying down.
Is a special bed foundation needed for an overweight person?
Heavy people should be sure that the bed they are sleeping on is not atop a delicate base that may break just by moving around in bed. Just as a heavier person will need a more supportive chair, he or she need a very supportive bed base that can handle a few extra pounds. A sturdy bedframe will be sure to have a support beam in the center for beds bigger than a twin size. Reinforced metal frames are sure to hold heavier people.
What mattress is best for heavy people?
Heavy people need optimal support in a mattress that can support extra weight. It is important to purchase a quality mattress crafted from layers that add up to a minimum of 10 inches thick. Be sure to have a bed with deep compression support that will be able to handle the extra weight. Also, be certain that the mattress has good edge support with an edge that will not break down when sitting on it. With a heavy person tending to sleep hotter than it is necessary to shop for a bed that will allow for ventilation.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress