How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on May 8, 2021
There are specific techniques that can be used to remove tough blood stains from your mattress. Learn out how by reading these tips from www.ghostbed.com
In addition to regular vacuum cleaning and spot cleaning there are specific techniques that can be used to remove tough blood stains from your dream memory foam mattress. Beds with zipped off mattress covers, such as the GhostBed CertiPUR-US certified plush cover, adds some ease by allowing you to machine wash the cover. It is important to note that machine washing may also embed stains so make sure to spot clean these tough stains before tossing the cover into the machine. You will also want to care for difficult stains that may seep through the cover onto the actual mattress.
The 911 for removing blood is to clean as soon as possible after the stain occurs to prevent it from drying and setting in. Sometimes though blood stains will dry before we have a chance to find them. There are a few techniques to use that will help get that nasty blood stain out.
Method 1: Cold Water
Method 2: Baking Soda
Method 3: Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Corn Starch
Method 4: Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia
Method 5: Meat Tenderizer
METHOD 1: Cold Water
Blood dissolves in cold water so the first go to for removing blood is to soak and remove using cold water. It is important to remember to not cook the blood stain using hot water as this will just set it in. Dab the blood stain with a cold water soaked cloth until stain is totally removed.
METHOD 2: Baking Soda
Get the Baking Soda out of the cabinet and onto the mattress to remove the blood stain.
- Apply the mixture with a cloth onto the entire stain and let it sit for 30-minutes.
- Dab dry with towel to remove moisture.
METHOD 3: Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Corn Starch
Sometimes you may need a little more help for a large or stubborn blood stain. In these cases, table salt and hydrogen peroxide can be mixed into a magic stain removal potion. Take the hydrogen peroxide out of the first aid closet to be used for first aid for your mattress. Salt and peroxide work wonderfully to remove the stain causing proteins in blood.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used full strength, but poring it onto a mattress will just soak through layers of memory foam creating a drying nightmare. Instead mix up a recipe to create a stain removing paste.
- Apply the paste onto the entire stain area with a spoon or spatula
- The dried paste can be easily removed by scraping it away and then vacuuming
- Start by dampening the stained area blotting with cold water.
- Once it is dry, remove salt by scraping it away.
- When the bubbling stops start dabbing with a clean cloth beginning in the center of the stain and working outwards to remove the stain along with the peroxide.
- For remainder of stubborn stain, mix one tablespoon of ammonia with one cup of water and start working to dab area from center of stain outwards until the stain is removed.
METHOD 5: Meat Tenderizer
Meat tenderizer works to make your tasty steaks even tastier by breaking down proteins to tenderize. Since blood proteins is what causes staining, meat tenderizer is a wonderful tool to help rid the mattress of the blood stains.
- Rub the paste mixture onto the blood stain to cover it and let sit for one hour.
- Remove moisture by dabbing with dry towel
If necessary, use a wet/ dry vacuum to really clean up remaining dampness. Make sure that hydrogen peroxide and ammonia is completely removed as to not damage mattress. At this point you can use a mild soap with cold water to wash over area to remove remnants of any peroxide and/ or ammonia. Allow for the mattress to completely air-dry away from heat.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $845 $592Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets