How to Remove Urine from Your Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on August 2, 2020
Specific techniques can be used to remove wet and dried urine from your mattress. Learn out how by reading these tips from www.ghostbed.com. Whether in their own bed or in the family bed, with young children and pets, it is inevitable that eventually you will have to deal with pee on your lovely memory foam mattress. Even if you have a zipped off mattress cover, such as the GhostBed CertiPUR-US certified plush cover, you will still want to get that urine out before heading to the washing machine. The pee smell and stain may only get embedded when machine washing with standard detergent.
Highly recommended: Get a mattress protector to protect against future spills, stains, and smells.
You will want to work fast to remove any urine that could be soaked into the mattress. The dreaded wet urine problem should be tackled immediately but do not fret if the stain is not found until dry. There are methods to remove both dried up and fresh pee and its stains from your mattress.
Method 1: Natural Ingredients
Method 2: Peroxide and Dish Soap
Method 3: Biological Enzyme Wash
METHOD 1: Natural Ingredients
Along with a roll of paper towels a spray bottle, toothbrush and vacuum, all you will need is baking soda, and distilled white vinegar. Wet stains should be soaked up by blotting with paper towels as best as possible. Be sure to not press the towels hard onto spots as this may push the urine deeper into mattress.
- To get out the stench of the urine smell you will want to use the vinegar full strength. Spraying the vinegar soak the areas of the mattress that have been affected by the urine. For tough stained area use a toothbrush to rub the vinegar in. Open the windows and run a fan as you let the vinegar set for five to 10-minutes.
- Using layers of fresh paper toweling soak up the vinegar from the mattress.
- Take the baking soda and sprinkle it over stained areas until covered. Now take a break to let the baking soda set in for at least a couple of hours. Leave the soda on spots for as long as possible. The baking soda will begin to clump up as it soaks in the vinegar. This is what removes the vinegar along with odor.
- Use your vacuum to clean up the dried baking soda from the mattress going over the bed until all the soda is removed
METHOD 2: Peroxide and Dish Soap
In addition to using paper towels to blot a stain that is wet, you will need hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish detergent, a bowl and spray bottle. Mix together in the bowl 10-ounces of hydrogen peroxide with 3-tablespoons of baking soda and a couple of drops of ordinary dish detergent. Then pour the mixture into your spray bottle. To prevent from foaming you do not want to mix directly in spray bottle.
- Simply spray entire urine stained areas so that they are completely covered with solution.
- Open windows and turn on fan to ventilate as you let mixture set in for at least an hour.
- Once mixture is dry you should see that any urine stain and smell is totally removed.
METHOD 3: Biological Enzyme Wash
Special Enzyme cleaners are on the market in both liquid and powder form that are made to specifically attack urine stains. In addition to your enzyme cleaner of choice you will need paper towels to blot wet areas, baking soda and a vacuum. Blot up any wet stains with paper towels and you can sprinkle baking soda as well for drenched areas. Once the baking soda has dried up brush it off of the area before proceeding. Hydrogen peroxide can be used full strength, but poring it onto a mattress will just soak through layers of memory foam creating a drying nightmare. Instead mix up a recipe to create a stain removing paste.
- Put biological enzyme wash in spray bottle. Make a solution with a dry powder form and water or use a straight liquid form that is available in pet stores.
- Spray enzyme solution directly onto stained areas and let it set in for 5-minutes. Take note to also read recommended instructions on the detergent packaging as well. Open windows and use a fan to ventilate room.
- After you have let the solution sit for appropriate time blot up wetness with paper towels.
- Sprinkle baking soda so that it completely covers stained wet areas. Let it set for 18-hours or more.
- Once baking soda is finished doing its job, vacuum it completely up and air out mattress before making up bed.
Remember that any of these methods can be repeated numerous times to ensure that the urine issue is removed as best as possible. If one method is not working for you then try another. Once you have removed the pee stain you will want to stay ahead of any future urine problems. Before making up the bed use a sealed waterproof mattress protector on a child’s bed. A waterproof mattress protector can easily be placed anywhere such as on a parents’ bed, sofa or taken along when traveling.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $545 $409Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Remove Urine from Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets