Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
Last Updated on June 19, 2022
We spend a third of our lives sleeping—so when it comes to your mattress and your bedding, it’s worth it to get the best! A luxurious and comfortable environment can have a huge impact on the quality of your sleep, helping you fall asleep, stay asleep and wake up feeling refreshed.
As you choose your bedding, it’s important to think about your pillowcase in particular. After all, you spend all night with your face directly in contact with your pillow, especially if you’re a side or stomach sleeper. Your pillowcase protects your pillow and keeps it clean, but the right fabric can also provide additional benefits for your hair, skin and overall health.
We’re partial to silk; keep reading to find out why!
Overview: Top Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
Silk pillowcases provide tons of benefits for your hair, skin and overall health.
- Hair: Sleeping on silk reduces tangles and bedhead, keeps frizz at bay and ensures strands stay hydrated.
- Skin: The smooth texture of silk reduces facial creases and absorbs less moisture, so your skin stays hydrated and your skincare products stay where they belong.
- Health: Silk is naturally hypoallergenic, making it a great option for those with allergies.
I. Do Silk Pillowcases Really Make a Difference?
II. Beauty Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
III. Health Benefits of Silk PIllowcases
IV. Other Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
V. Experience GhostBed Silk
I. Do Silk Pillowcases Really Make a Difference?
First, let’s get one thing out of the way: are silk pillowcases worth the money? While they do typically have a higher price tag than other types of pillowcases (think cotton, polyester and linen), we say yes, they’re well worth it!
Right off the bat, silk pillowcases feel smooth and soft against your skin, giving you a sense of luxury to help you relax. After a long, hard day, that’s really what it’s all about!
Dermatologists, textile experts and beauty gurus alike have also confirmed the benefits of sleeping on silk pillowcases, so we’re not alone on this. By investing in high-quality silk, you can supercharge your beauty sleep—and who doesn’t want that?
II. Beauty Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
We’ve shared some of the key reasons silk pillowcases are so great for your hair and skin in other articles, but check out the recap below.
Cotton and polyester pillowcases are very common, but these fabrics cause friction against your hair as you move around at night. This leads to tangled and frizzy strands, as well as—yep, you guessed it—that dreaded “bedhead” look. In the long-term, your hair can end up brittle and damaged.
The solution? Provide a smooth surface for your hair to glide against with a silk pillowcase. Silk also absorbs less moisture than cotton and other fabrics, so your hair stays hydrated and healthy.
The smooth texture of silk helps your skin stay hydrated and beautiful, too. Ever woken up with creases across your face? They’re all-too-common after 8 hours of pressing your face against a friction-prone fabric. These fine lines can even settle into more permanent wrinkles over time.
Instead, give your skin a gentle surface with a silk pillowcase. This is especially important for acne-prone, dry or sensitive skin, as a rough cotton pillowcase may cause extra irritation. If you’re sleeping on cotton, you also run the risk of your products migrating off your face onto your pillowcase. Since silk absorbs less moisture than cotton and other fabrics, your products stay put and your skin stays hydrated.
III. Health Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
Beyond the beauty benefits of silk pillowcases, making the switch may also improve your overall health.
First, silk naturally adjusts to your body temperature, wicking away moisture (read: sweat) instead of absorbing it. With its cool-to-the-touch-feel, it’s a lightweight fabric you’ll enjoy sleeping on year-round. Combine your silk pillowcase with a cooling mattress, pillow and bedsheets, and you’ll be all set for amazing sleep.
Second, sleeping on silk is a wonderful option for people with allergies. Silk is naturally hypoallergenic, so it’s resistant to dust mites, mold and other allergens. (Of course, don’t forget to regularly wash your silk pillowcase, too.)
Most silk pillowcases also have fewer chemicals; the silkworms used for 100% Mulberry silk, for example, are raised in captivity and fed an exclusive diet of mulberry leaves that aren’t treated with pesticides. Compare this to cotton, as some lesser-quality products are made with chemically-treated crops.
IV. Other Benefits
A final benefit of sleeping on a silk pillowcase is that you can find durable, beautiful options that won’t break the bank. And selecting the best silk pillowcase is easy when you know what to look for. We recommend shopping for a pillowcase that:
- Is 100% Mulberry silk
- Is 22 momme or higher
- Includes extra-durable details, like reinforced stitching
V. Experience GhostBed Silk
Overall, a silk pillowcase is an investment in a luxurious night’s sleep. At around $100 for a high-quality option like the GhostBed Silk Pillowcase, what more could you ask for? With a practically weightless feel, the GhostBed Silk Pillowcase pairs beautifully with your GhostBed mattress and luxury sheets for a cool, comfortable sleep. Shop now and select between two beautiful colors (blush and white). And with our free and fast shipping, you’ll get your order fast—so you can slink into silky, super-luxurious sleep faster than ever.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress