What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
Last Updated on June 19, 2022
After an action-packed day of hiking, paddling or exploring, there's nothing better than crawling into a comfortable bed. If your home away from home happens to be an RV, we're here to tell you that your RV bed can be a luxury sanctuary amidst your rugged surroundings.
But in order to get a good night's rest, you need a durable and comforting mattress. And most importantly… it needs to fit in your space. That's where the GhostBed Short Queen RV Mattress comes to the rescue!
Overview: What is a Short Queen Mattress?
A short queen mattress is the most common size for RVs. It's 6 inches shorter than a standard queen mattress, at 60 inches wide by 74 inches long.Shop Short Queen Mattresses
What is a Short Queen Mattress?
When you’re outfitting your RV with all the essentials, don’t forget about upgrading your mattress! While most RVs will come with one, it's not usually the most comfortable. Upgrading your mattress will help you get the best sleep on the road, so you’ll wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.
However, you’ll need to do a bit of research (and measuring) beforehand. RVs usually require a mattress that’s a bit smaller than the one you’d buy for your home. A “short queen” mattress is the most common size for RVs, which measures 60 inches wide by 74 inches long. It’s 6 inches shorter than a regular queen, so it’ll fit nicely into your tight quarters. (Take a look at our Guide to Mattress Sizes if you still need help figuring out what size you need!)
Short Queen Mattress Types
Just like shopping for your home, you have a lot of options for replacing your RV mattress. Of course, you’ll want a mattress that is comfortable and durable. But you’ll also want something that feels luxurious! If you aren’t waking up refreshed on the road, a higher-quality mattress can do the trick.
As you start your search, think about the type of mattress you like. Memory foam and hybrid are two of the most popular styles, so we’ll review those below.
Memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material that reacts to your body heat, softening up and contouring the heaviest parts of your body when you lay on it. When it’s layered toward the top of a mattress, you’ll get a cozy, “sponge-y” feel that some people love. Memory foam mattresses can be layered with other materials, like latex, which can firm up the feel. Our all-foam GhostBed RV, for example, includes a layer of our exclusive Ghost Bounce foam right above the memory foam layer. This gives it a bit of a firmer feel than you might typically get with a memory foam mattress.
On the other hand, some sleepers simply prefer the feel of a mattress with springs in it. If this sounds like you, a hybrid mattress is like the best of both worlds. The GhostBed RV is also available in a hybrid model, which includes a layer of 6” individually wrapped coils. We’ve also added our exclusive Spirited Edge™ design with reinforced edge support.
Short Queen FAQs
Still not quite sold? Take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions our Sleep Experts get below.
Do Short Queen Mattresses Work for Tall People?
Unless you are very tall, 74 inches (a little over 6 feet) should be long enough to fit you comfortably.
What’s the Difference Between an RV Queen Mattress vs. a Regular Queen Mattress?
Short queen mattresses clock in at 60 inches wide and 74 inches long, which is 6 inches shorter than a standard queen mattress at 60 inches by 80 inches. This extra space can help maximize the tight interior space of your RV, where every inch matters.
Will Queen Sheets Fit a Short Queen Mattress?
Regular queen sheets will fit fine on a short queen mattress unless the mattress is very thin. In that case, you will end up with baggy sheets. If you find any excess sheets at the head or foot of your bed, simply tuck the excess under the mattress and you’re good to go. Our GhostBed RV mattress has a 10-inch profile, making this problem less of a concern. Additionally, our 2” GhostGrip band will ensure your sheets stay on securely, all night long.
Get Ready to Roam with GhostBed
As you bring together all the pieces to make your next RV trip amazing, don’t forget your bed! A cooling gel memory foam RV mattress is sure to elevate your travels. Try it in a short queen size and enjoy all the comforts of home wherever you may roam.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress