Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Are you planning an exciting RV excursion this year? While planning your route is important, strategic packing is just as essential.
After all, packing for a road trip is completely different from packing for a hotel vacation. We all know how annoying it can be to forget that one essential item. So what should you pack to ensure your RV is as comforting and convenient as your home base? Keep reading to find out!
Overview: Road Trip Essentials for Your RV
What are the must-haves for an RV vacation that leave you well-rested and ready to take on each new day (and destination) with enthusiasm?
- Navigation Tools/GPS
- A Backup Power Source
- The Perfect RV Mattress
- Cooling, Cozy Pillows and Sheets
- Water Filter
- Shelf-Stable Snacks
1. Navigation Tools/GPS
All who wander may not be lost, but not knowing where you are (especially in sparsely populated areas) can be troubling. Avoid getting lost on your RV trip by investing in navigation tools, such as a compass or RV-specific GPS. A GPS will help you quickly find rest stops, restaurants, campsites and attractions with the push of a button. Also, don't forget to scour your phone's app store for road trip-friendly apps! Some apps can help connect you with those who have open land for your RV, while others map our constellations to enhance your stargazing sessions.
2. A Backup Power Source
In the event of an emergency, you’ll want to have plenty of backup power sources. Experts recommend packing extra battery packs, solar chargers or even a generator to keep your phone, laptop, GPS and other essential tools charged and ready for action. If you're a digital nomad, a signal booster for Wi-Fi is a wise investment as it will keep you connected and productive wherever you end up.
3. The Perfect RV Mattress
Finding the right balance between softness and firmness is the key to comfortable, rejuvenating sleep on the road. Instead of just settling with the mattress that came with your RV, why not consider an RV mattress upgrade? A fantastic bed can make all the difference in how you experience your vacation.
With the GhostBed RV Mattress, you get all the comfort and cooling features that GhostBed mattresses are famous for in an RV-friendly size. Plus, it’s naturally antimicrobial and resistant to mold, bacteria and dust mites—an important feature for your home-away-from-home.
GhostBed RV MattressShop Now
4. Cooling Pillows and Sheets
If you’re upgrading your RV mattress, don’t forget the right pillows and sheets to seal the deal. Comfy and cool is the way to go, especially if you’re heading to a warmer destination.
To avoid bedtime frustration, you're going to want to go with cooling sheets and pillows that are durable and easy to care for. As a rule of thumb, microfiber sheets tend to run hot, which can be helpful if you're sleeping in a cold environment. But if your goal is to beat the heat, check out our premium GhostSheets, made with a blend of cooling TENCEL® and oh-so-soft Supima cotton.
Pillow-wise, the GhostPillow - Shredded offers a chilly resting place to support your neck after a long day of driving.
Nothing can disrupt your sleep in an RV more than setting up on uneven ground. An unlevel RV can damage your tires from uneven pressure being applied on them. And it can even cause unnecessary back pain as your back will not be properly aligned throughout the night. If the campground you're posting up in doesn't have a concrete pad to park on, consider utilizing some stabilizing blocks or levelers with you. This will fix any issues quickly.
6. Water Filter
Depending on where you post up, finding clean water can pose a challenge. Of course, you can always just opt for bottled water, but that option isn't always attractive to the eco-conscious. A pitcher-style water filter is an inexpensive option, but it may not be ideal for your kitchen configuration. Instead, try looking for a water filter that affixes to your RV hose. This type of filter will clean your water before it even reaches your rig. Conversely, you can pick up a straw-style water filter for emergencies. Bonus: you can use it on your next hiking or backpacking trip!
7. Shelf-Stable Snacks
If you've ever taken a road trip, you know how difficult it can be to find healthy, nutritious food on the road. It can seem as if the only thing to eat is fast food or gas station snacks like cookies, chips and candy. While we don't discourage you from treating yourself while on vacation, overeating junk food for days in a row can really wear you down, mess with digestion and make you an "unhappy camper."
Instead, consider packing some simple, shelf-stable snacks that don't require refrigeration, like dried fruit, nuts, low-sodium jerky, granola bars and protein bars.
Get Ready to Hit the Road with GhostBed
When you’re ready to stock up on all the road trip essentials for a perfect RV trip, GhostBed has you covered with incredibly comfy RV mattresses in a variety of sizes, cooling sheets and fantastic pillows that will elevate your vacation to the next level of comfort.
If you have any sleep-related questions about outfitting your RV for your next adventure, we invite you to reach out to our Sleep Experts today!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets