Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Serums? Check. Night cream? Check. When it comes to beauty sleep, you’ve got everything you need for 8 hours of rejuvenating, refreshing slumber. Or do you?
Let’s take a minute to talk about your bedding. We’ve talked about the benefits of sleeping cool before—which your mattress, as well as your thermostat, can impact—but have you ever stopped to think about your pillowcase? After all, this bedding basic is in direct contact with your face for 6, 7, 8+ hours a night. Is yours helping you get the best beauty sleep you can, or is it contributing to bedhead and wrinkles?
Keep reading and we’ll explore your newest beauty secret: a silk pillowcase designed for the hair and skin benefits you’ve been dreaming of.
Overview: What are the Beauty Benefits of a Silk Pillowcase?
Silk pillowcases are a fantastic way to make the most of your beauty sleep! By providing a smooth and slippery surface for your skin and hair to glide across, a silk pillowcase can:
- Prevent unwanted facial creases
- Reduce bedhead and frizz
- Keep your skin and hair hydrated
I. Silk Pillowcases & Your Hair
II. Silk Pillowcases & Your Skin
III. Selecting the Best Silk Pillowcase for Hair & Skin Benefits
IV. Experience GhostBed Silk
I. Silk Pillowcases & Your Hair
Tired of waking up with bedhead? If you tend to toss and turn in bed, your luscious locks can turn into a bird’s nest in no time. And even if you tend to stay put, frizz and tangles are a common morning woe. Or you might just feel like your hair's a little parched upon waking up. So what gives?
It all comes down to the fabric you’re sleeping on. Cotton, for example, is one of the most popular types of pillowcase fabrics. It’s soft, easy to clean and available in a wide variety of price ranges, from budget-friendly to more luxury options like Supima cotton. But cotton can also wreak havoc on your hair, creating friction that leads to dehydrated and brittle strands.
The solution? Opting for a smooth surface, instead, with a silk pillowcase.
Reduced Tangles & Frizz
Cotton, polyester and other similar types of pillowcase fabrics can be a bit rough, grabbing on to your hair as you sleep and causing tangles, frizz and even breakage. This effect can be even worse for those with curly, black or textured hair, as well as if you go to bed with wet hair.
A silk pillowcase, on the other hand, helps your hair by providing a smooth surface to glide over without friction, keeping curls intact and your hair’s texture flawless. Over time, it can even help improve the long-term health of your hair.
Better Hydrated Hair
Another reason that silk pillowcases are the better choice for your hair is that they absorb less moisture than cotton and other fabrics. While a cotton pillowcase will absorb the oils from your hair, leaving it parched and dry, a silk pillowcase ensures your hair stays hydrated and healthy.
II. Silk Pillowcases & Your Skin
Next up, how does a silk pillowcase affect your skin? Similar to how the fabric interacts with your hair, the smoothness of silk means less tugging on your delicate facial skin throughout the night. And since it bunches up less than cotton, you won’t wake up with those pesky crinkles and creases on your face. As our skin ages, these temporary creases and lines can deepen into more permanent wrinkles, so it’s a good idea to “stop the clock” earlier rather than later.
Helps Your Products Stay Put
As you sleep, your skin works hard to repair and restore itself. Research tells us that our skin also absorbs products better at night, which is why hydrating night creams and serums are so popular. But what happens to those pricey products once your face hits your pillow? If you’re sleeping on cotton, you run the risk of your products migrating off your face onto your pillowcase.
With a silk pillowcase, you won’t have to worry about that. Since silk absorbs less moisture than cotton and other fabrics, your products stay put and your skin stays hydrated. This is especially helpful during the drier winter months and if you have dry skin to begin with.
May Help With Skin Sensitivities
If you have eczema, rosacea or other skin sensitivities, investing in a silk pillowcase can be a huge help. Even though silk absorbs less moisture, it’s still a super breathable material, allowing for better temperature regulation throughout the night. A naturally hypoallergenic fabric, it provides a less-than-ideal environment for dust mites, mold and other allergens, which can help reduce your flair-ups.
A Note on Silk Pillowcases and Acne
Can a silk pillowcase reduce acne? While some claim that it does, the research and science behind this is mixed. Although silk does have some antibacterial properties, most experts agree that it doesn’t mean your silk pillowcase actually stays cleaner than other fabric types. To keep your skin healthy, you’ll still need to keep your silk pillowcase clean by washing it regularly.
III. Selecting the Best Silk Pillowcase for Hair & Skin Benefits
Ready to invest in your beauty sleep with the help of silk? Keep in mind that not all pillowcases are made the same, so you’ll want to do your research to find the best silk pillowcase for your skin and hair needs.
We recommend looking for:
- A high momme, which refers to the weight and durability of the silk. A momme of 19 or above is considered high quality.
- A high grade. Silk is graded on an A, B and C scale, with an A grade reflecting the highest quality.
- Mulberry silk, specifically. Mulberry silk is made from the silk of domesticated silkworms, and is known as the best and most durable silk available.
- 100% silk, instead of blends that may include inferior fabrics.
Learn more about how and where to buy the best silk pillowcase here.
IV. Silk vs. Satin for Hair & Skin
You might also be wondering about the difference between silk and satin when it comes to hair and skin benefits. Are they the same?
The answer is… not quite. Simply put, silk is a fiber, whereas satin is a type of weave. Meaning, your satin pillowcase is made from one or many different fabrics types, which could include a silk blend, nylon, rayon or polyester. For the best beauty benefits, you’ll want to look for a 100% silk pillowcase.
V. Experience GhostBed Silk
We’re proud to introduce the new GhostBed Silk, a pillowcase crafted with care and made for your beauty sleep. In addition to the natural hair and skin benefits of silk, we’ve added in extra details you’ll love, like a strong internal zipper and double-stitched edges. The GhostBed Silk is delicate but durable, with a luxurious feel that’ll help you doze off in comfort.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets