How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Picture yourself crawling into bed after a long hard day. Imagine how good it feels to run your tired feet along your cool, silky sheets as you drift off into dreamland. Heaven. Now imagine the opposite side of the coin: jumping into bed only to feel bumpy, scratchy balls of fibers and lint. Not so nice.
Finding sheets that don't pill can be a challenge. After all, you won't know if they will pill or not until enough time has passed. And though most sheets have the potential to pill over years of use, you can safeguard your feet longer if you follow a few tips.
Here, we'll explain what causes sheet pilling, how to stop it and where to find the best no-pill sheets for your money. Let's dive in!
Overview: How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
Friction, exposure to chemicals and high heat, and the type of fabric itself can contribute to pilling. Looking for durable and high-quality materials is your best bet if you want to ward it off. Supima or Egyptian Cotton are two great options.SHOP GHOSTSHEETS
Why Are My Sheets Pilling?
Pilling can be the result of several factors, including:
Pilling is most common in fabrics with shorter, looser fibers. Loose fibers naturally migrate to the surface of a piece of fabric. At the surface, they are subject to abrasion and friction, which causes the fibers to twist together and form small balls or "pills."
Wear and Tear
Have you ever noticed pilling on the underarms of your favorite sweater? This is a perfect example of how friction contributes to fabric pilling, and the same thing can happen with your sheets. When a fabric is snagged, pulled, stretched or rubbed repeatedly, the fibers break down and become weak, which is a perfect recipe for pilling. Paying attention to how you wash your sheets can help reduce pilling, as being too rough with them can contribute to fiber breakdown.
Surprising fact: Spiky body hair acts like a "scouring pad" of sorts on your sheets, which can contribute to pilling. So, if your legs are a little prickly, consider covering them before bedtime to protect your sheets. The same thinking goes for dry, calloused feet!
Chemicals and High Heat
Harsh chemicals and detergents, as well as high-heat ironing or drying, can damage fabric fibers. This is important to remember because brittle, weak fibers cause pilling. Consider switching to a gentle detergent, and line-drying your sheets when you can. If you're using a dryer, choose low heat and a low-tumble cycle to keep your sheets ultra-soft and lint-free.
Eco-friendly dryer balls are popular these days, but you may want to ditch them. They tend to beat up your laundry and wear down fabrics much faster than traditional dryer sheets. If you're dead set on using them, opt for the gentler wool balls instead of the extra-abrasive plastic ones.
Does Thread Count Matter When It Comes to Pilling?
Thread count is, for the most part, a marketing tactic that should not influence your buying decision. Instead, pay attention to the specific fabric type. Fabrics made with longer fibers will be your best bet.
Popular long-fiber fabrics include:
- Egyptian cotton
- Pima cotton
- Supima cotton
4 Easy Ways to Prevent & Remove Pilling From Your Sheets
Preventing pilling is easy with a little know-how. Explore our top 4 ways to prevent and remove pilling from your sheets.
1. Change Up Your Washing Routine
How you wash your sheets will largely determine whether they pill or not. We recommend setting the water temperature to medium to cool, and using low heat for the drying cycle. While you're at it, it may be time to reevaluate your laundry detergent and swap it out for something gentler and without bleach to keep those fibers strong. If you iron your sheets, use the lowest setting possible and remember not to let the iron sit too long in one location.
2. Purchase High-Quality Sheets In the First Place
One sure-fire way to prevent bed sheet pilling is to invest in high-quality sheets in the first place. If you find a set of sheets advertised as 100% Egyptian cotton with a 1,000 thread count, stop right there. There's a 99% chance they won't live up to their claims. A great set of bed sheets can vary in price point but shouldn't cost over $300.
3. Replace Your Sheets at the Appropriate Time
Nothing lasts forever, and that's also true when it comes to your sheets. Even the highest quality sheets won't last you a lifetime. Replace them when signs like staining, ripping, fraying and dulling make an appearance.
4. Remove Any Pills That Appear
When all else fails, you can try to remove pilling with various gadgets or even a clean, new razor like the one you use on your face and/or body. While this route doesn't necessarily prevent pilling, it can keep your sheets looking and feeling smoother for longer.
GhostSheets: The Best No-Pill Sheets
Shopping for sheets that will stay pill-free? Our luxurious GhostSheets fit the bill. Crafted with our patent-pending blend of super-soft Supima cotton and cool-to-the-touch TENCEL® fiber, GhostSheets are designed for comfort and durability.
Available in trendy grey and classic white, GhostSheets make your bed an inviting respite from the troubles of your day. If you're dealing with scratchy, pilling sheets, consider this your reminder to make the upgrade ASAP.
Having 1 or 2 backup sets of sheets and pillowcases is a smart move. It'll allow you to rotate between the two, so you always have a clean set waiting. Plus, it'll reduce the wear and tear that contributes to pilling.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets