How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
Last Updated on September 18, 2022
We’ve all been there: you wake up in the morning hot, sweaty and grumpy. Not only is sleeping too hot uncomfortable, but it can also impact the quality of your sleep and therefore your overall health and energy levels. If you have a memory foam mattress and this keeps happening to you, it’s time to learn how to keep your cool. Luckily, there are a few simple tweaks you can make to ensure you reap the benefits of sleeping cool.
Overview: What to Do if Your Memory Foam Mattress is Too Hot
If you wake up hot and are looking for ways to make your memory foam mattress cooler, here are our best tips:
- Use a slatted foundation for your mattress so air can flow
- Invest in luxury bedding made from natural materials such as cotton
- Choose a breathable pillow and accompanying pillowcase
- Add a cooling mattress topper made with gel memory foam on top of your mattress
- Swap out your old mattress for one made with cooling technology
I. Choose a Slatted Base
II. Choose the Right Bedding
III. Use a Cooling Mattress Topper
IV. Consider a New Mattress
I. Choose a Slatted Base
It’s no surprise that the type of mattress you choose will affect how you sleep at night, but did you know that the foundation that you put your mattress on can also impact your sleep?
Memory foam mattresses tend to retain heat because they’re made from such dense material. If you have your mattress on a traditional solid foundation, airflow is restricted even further. So, what’s the fix? Consider putting your mattress on a slatted foundation, instead. It may seem like a subtle change, but when air can flow beneath your mattress, you’ll find that your temperature is better regulated throughout the night.
Opt for comfort, cooling and style with the GhostBed All-in-One Foundation. A foundation and bed frame in one, it works with all mattress types and comes with a grey slip-on cover for an elevated, upholstered look.
II. Choose the Right Bedding
Another way to keep cool on a memory foam mattress: consider your bedding! Your bedding can play a big role in how hot you sleep.
How to Choose Cooling Bed Sheets
First, don’t skimp on the right bed sheets. As you’re shopping, keep an eye out for natural materials like cotton or bamboo. Synthetic materials, like acrylic fibers, are a lot less breathable. The result? You’ll wake up sticky, hot and stuffy. And nobody wants that!
Our cooling bed sheets are crafted with breathable Supima cotton and plant-based TENCEL® for a super-soft, luxury feel. They’re wrinkle-resistant, too!
How to Choose a Cooling Pillow
Second, choosing the right pillow can help you keep cool.
Look for a pillow that features cooling materials, such as a gel memory foam, and an ergonomic design that promotes airflow. If you prefer down or faux down pillows instead of memory foam, look for one that is made with breathable materials. You can also choose a cooling pillowcase made from cotton or silk to keep your head and neck cool.
Looking for cooling pillows, you say? We’ve got you covered. All 3 of our GhostPillows are designed with breathable comfort in mind. Plus, they come with our signature Ghost Ice fabric cover, so you’ll feel cool from the moment your head hits the pillow.
III. Use a Cooling Mattress Topper
Still need help with keeping your memory foam mattress cool? A mattress topper should be at the top of your list. Mattress toppers are pads that go on top of your existing mattress to make your mattress softer or even cooler, depending on the type that you get. They are a great complement to any mattress, especially if you’re not quite ready to invest in a new mattress.
How to Choose a Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers come in all shapes and sizes. Not sure which one to choose? Here is a quick summary of some of the most common materials to choose from:
- Latex - Latex mattress toppers are either made from natural or synthetic latex and offer firm support for your mattress. While they offer good joint support and are durable, they may be too firm for some sleepers.
- Memory Foam - Memory foam mattress toppers are a popular choice, as they are soft and super comfortable. Opt for gel-infused memory foam to stay cool, as the former tends to retain heat.
- Down - Down or synthetic down mattress toppers are made with feathers or microfiber, typically. While they are light and cool, they don’t provide much support.
Our cooling memory foam mattress topper is a great choice for an instant upgrade. With 3” of gel memory foam and various targeted “comfort zones,” you’ll feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud. Plus, with its included waterproof cover, it’s like a topper and protector in one.
IV. Consider a New Mattress
Lastly, if you find that your current mattress is just too hot even with these changes, it may be time to upgrade your mattress to one that keeps you cool.
Although memory foam mattresses are known for retaining heat, technology has come a long way and you can now find options that are both comfortable and cool.
We’ve designed all of our GhostBed mattresses with cooling in mind, but I recommend the GhostBed Luxe and the GhostBed 3D Matrix® as your best cooling options. Compare the two below, or use the shopping links to learn more!
Best Choice If...
- Sleeping cool is a major priority.
- You dream of a soft, yet supportive mattress, but you prefer a plusher top.
- You're looking for relief from neck, shoulder, or hip pain.
- Side sleepers and back sleepers who love the feeling of sleeping on a cloud.
- Couples who prefer low motion transfer throughout the night.
GhostBed 3D Matrix®
Best Choice If...
- You crave the ultimate in luxury and cutting-edge sleep technology.
- You need added support due to joint pain, arthritis, or limited range of motion.
- You tend to sleep hot (and are tired of waking up drenched in sweat).
- Side sleepers and back sleepers who want a soft and bouncy mattress.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress