How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Last Updated on September 18, 2022
Mattress toppers are a great way to add an extra layer of luxury to your mattress. With proper care, they can provide amazing comfort and extend the life of your mattress by several years. Here, we share how to clean a memory foam mattress topper, as well as some tips for ensuring your topper lasts a long time.
Overview: How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Understanding how to clean a mattress topper depends on the type that you have. For a memory foam topper, specifically, here’s what you need to know:
- Never put a memory foam mattress topper in the washing machine
- Instead, spot clean: use a clean cloth to dab with a mild detergent or a DIY solution with baking soda or white vinegar
- For tougher stains, spot clean with an enzymatic spray
Mattress Topper Basics
Before we dive into how to clean a mattress topper, let’s review some common questions. A high quality mattress topper should last you several years if taken care of properly, so knowing how to care for it is important.
Can You Put a Mattress Topper in the Washing Machine?
To answer this question, consider the type of mattress topper you have. Some mattress toppers, such as those filled with synthetic fiberfill, can be put straight into the washing machine and laid flat to dry. Others, including toppers made out of memory foam, should never be put in the washing machine because it can ruin the material inside.
How Often Should You Wash or Clean a Mattress Topper?
Good news: you don’t need to wash your mattress topper as often as you wash your bedding. Most people add a cover or mattress protector as a top layer, and you’ll want to wash that once a week along with your sheets. For the topper itself, however, you can spot clean as needed and give it a deeper clean a few times a year.
When Should I Replace My Mattress Topper?
A few factors can impact how long your mattress topper will last, including the materials used, how often you sleep on it, your weight and—as we’re discussing here, of course—how well you care for your topper. In general, a good quality mattress topper should last you about 3 to 4 years. Thinner, lesser-quality toppers (anything less than 3”) may need to be replaced sooner.
Keep in mind, also, that if your mattress is starting to sag, your topper might eventually end up sagging along with it. The average lifespan for a mattress is 7 to 10 years, so it may be time to invest in a new one if you’re at that point!
How to Clean a Mattress Topper
Now that you know more about the basics of mattress topper care, let’s look at a few simple ways to clean it.
How to Clean Your Mattress Topper: A Step-by-Step Guide
Here is how to clean a memory foam mattress topper:
- Strip the bedding, including your mattress protector or cover for the topper. Wash the cover or protector separately.
- Carefully remove the mattress topper off the mattress and lay it flat.
- Vacuum the mattress topper to remove any dust and allergens (optional: sprinkle baking soda on your mattress topper and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it off).
- If needed, spot clean the mattress topper using one of the solutions listed below. Be careful not to soak the foam, since it’s very absorbent.
- Let the mattress topper dry for a few hours. Direct sunlight can be helpful here!
- Repeat on both sides.
DIY Cleaning Solutions for Memory Foam
Luckily, you likely have many of the ingredients you need to clean your topper at home already! There are a few simple DIY recipes to help you clean your mattress topper of sweat stains, urine, pet odors and more.
- Baking Soda - Baking soda is great for an overall clean when you want to spruce up and deodorize your mattress topper. It smells fresh and clean, and can absorb moisture that may be trapped in your topper. Sprinkle a light layer all over the top, let it sit for a few hours and then vacuum it off.
- Detergent or Dish Soap & Water - For spot cleaning stains on your topper, dish soap or even a gentle laundry detergent can do wonders. Simply dilute about a tablespoon of soap in a cup of water and gently dab (don’t rub) the area with your cleaning solution. You can also put the mixture in a spray bottle, spray the topper lightly and use a cloth to clean gently in a circular motion. Finally, blot the area gently with a clean towel.
- White Vinegar & Water - White vinegar is another great natural cleaning solution to help you clean your topper, especially if you’re trying to get rid of odors. With a mixture of one part white vinegar to one part warm water, dab gently on and around the stain. Finish by blotting with a clean towel.
Other Solutions to Clean a Mattress Topper
If creating a DIY solution isn’t your thing or you have some hard-to-clean blood, urine, or sweat stains, a commercial cleaner might be your best bet. Enzyme-based cleaners are powerful yet safe for memory foam and are designed to penetrate even the toughest stains. To use, fill a spray bottle with the cleaner and spray lightly across the topper. Give it about 20 minutes to rest, and then dab with a clean damp cloth.
Tips for Caring for Your Mattress Topper
Learning how to wash a memory foam mattress topper is helpful, but the best way to keep your mattress topper clean is to prevent stains from occurring in the first place. You know what they say: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Add a Mattress Protector
Mattress protectors are covers that go over your mattress topper to help eliminate stains and odors. They can be thrown in the washing machine with the rest of your bedding, which makes it easy to keep your mattress topper clean and dry.
Make life even easier with a topper and protector in one—the GhostBed Memory Foam Topper fits the bill. It’s made with contouring and cooling gel memory foam and comes with a 100% waterproof cotton cover, so you’re protected from whatever life throws at you.
Store Your Mattress Topper Correctly
In addition to knowing how to clean a memory foam mattress topper, you should also know how to store the topper when not in use. We recommend storing your mattress topper in a vacuum-sealed bag to eliminate any dust or dirt from collecting.
Note: Before storing your mattress topper, make sure that it’s clean and dry. You can use the cleaning tips we shared earlier before you put your mattress topper in storage.
Replace Your Mattress Topper
Like we mentioned earlier, mattress toppers are typically designed to last about 3-4 years depending on care and quality. When it’s time to replace it, doing so in a timely manner is important. If you notice that your mattress topper is too dirty to clean or doesn’t support you as much as you would like, consider replacing it sooner.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress