GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
Last Updated on August 2, 2020
Bed-in-the-box mattresses have become popular with their ease of delivery and lower cost for a quality bed. As people search for mattresses to order they find an abundance of memory foam and hybrid choices. With companies striving to win over consumers, new materials have been added to entice people to buy the most comforting of mattresses that will bring the best of sleep.
Best Overall Mattress
The mattress wars have gained momentum with manufacturers researching and developing beds utilizing 21st-century technology. GhostBed continuously wins out in being an overall best competitor crafted with its three layers of superior materials that work together for cooling comfort. The 11-inch tall GhostBed certainly towers over the 9.5-inch tall Purple in height as well as appeal. Although Purple does okay with comfort it’s unique construction cannot beat GhostBed when it comes to sinkage and durability. Add the GhostBed’s 20-year warranty versus Purple’s 10 year and GhostBed comes out the clear winner over Purple for best mattress.
Chart that breaks down the Pros and Cons
Compiled as per Real Mattress Reviews & Mattress Guides
Please Note: Real Mattress Reviews & Mattress Guides have a scale out of 5
|I. Price (Mattress Guides)||5.0||4.0|
|II. Materials/Durability (Real Mattress Reviews)||4.8||4.0|
|II. Comfort (Real Mattress Reviews)||4.9||4.2|
Compiled as per Mattress Advisor
Please Note: Mattress Advisor has a scale out of 10
|IV. Warranty (Mattress Advisor)||10.0||9.0|
|V. Trial Period (Mattress Advisor)||10||9.0|
GhostBed vs Purple Comparison Features
|Warranty||20 Years||10 Years|
|Sleep Trial||101 Nights||100 Nights|
|Mattress Height||11" Height||9.5" Height|
|Recommended by Consumer Reports||77 Rating||76 Rating|
|Costco Reviews & Rating||1,206 Reviews
Adjustable Base Comparison
|Price (Queen)||$1199 $899||$1499|
|Zero Gravity Position||Yes||Yes|
|# of Massage Modes||15||5|
|Ships in 24-hours||Yes||No|
No longer does one need to spend a day shopping from store to store for a comfortable mattress. Memory foam type mattresses now allow for a bed to be shrink wrapped into a small box to be delivered to one’s doorstep. This presents the ability for one to shop from the comfort of his or her home. With the assistance of Ted & Stacey’s Mattress Guides, Real Mattress Reviews & Mattress Advisor – shoppers will get the aid of experts in deciding between GhostBed and Purple.
|Twin XL||$745 $559||$749|
Longer but Narrow
Both the GhostBed and Purple are comprised of three layers plus a removable cover. At only 9.5-inches high the Purple mattress lacks in stature as well as the hefty durable bottom layer that the GhostBed provides.
A 1.5-inch continuous aerated latex foam top layer crafted to specifically not retain heat sits under GhostBed’s quilted outer cover. Two-inches of a gel memory foam layer designed to comfort the body for a cooler night’s sleep sits in the middle. For extra support, durability, and longevity GhostBed created a 7.5-inch base layer from high density foam.
For durability, Real Mattress notes:
“The materials used in the mattress are of a good quality, once you’re laying down for a bit the Gel memory foam layer reacts a bit more and it feels softer then you might think right at your first lay on the mattress.”
Purple is unique with its pressure-erasing 2-inch Smart Comfort Grid top layer. The grid is comprised from a combination of foam and hyper-elastic polymer materials that certainly give the bed an interesting feel when laying on it. Air flow channels are built-in to provide cooler sleeping. Its middle layer of 3.5-inches polyurethane foam works with the smart grid to provide transitional and deep compression support. The 4-inch bottom layer of the Purple is crafted from a denser polyurethane foam to work strictly as a foundation. Noted by the Real Mattress Reviewer regarding Purple’s unique design’s durability:
“I don’t like the idea that the design is not proven for longevity.”
Both GhostBed and Purple have covers that look great and can be removed for cleaning. Although both covers can be machine washed it is recommended by both manufactures that they be spot cleaned with cold water and a mild detergent.
When shopping for a mattress a key factor is always comfort. Although comfort can be subjective for each individual’s particular needs and wants, overall comfort is about a mattress that is supportive to provide the best sleep possible.
GhostBed certainly rates higher in comfort than Purple. It works to sleep cool while also providing pressure relief and quick response to one’s body as it moves. The medium firmness allows for contouring of the body whether sleeping on the back, side, or stomach.
GhostBed’s top latex layer allows for good bounce without a stuck feeling to allow for easy movement. Heavier sleepers will appreciate the extra foam base of GhostBed to give them comfort without a feeling of bottoming out.
Real Mattress notes about GhostBed’s comfort:
“The mattress had good body contouring without being too soft. You don’t have that “stuck” feeling I’ve experienced with some memory foam beds and that’s the point of having the latex on the top layer.”
Purple works well to sleep cool as well as relieve pressure. Like GhostBed, Purple is a medium firmness mattress that provides sleep comfort for all sleep positions. The Purple is noted to have poor edge support, as well as lack of loft in height that can give a heavier person a sense of bottoming out as indicated by Real Mattress:
“The edge support for me was an issue where the grid collapses outward and makes you feel less supported on the edge. I also feel like the mattress is able to bottom out pretty easily and the foam core was rather squishy.”
Comparing the warranty’s from GhostBed and Purple one will certainly rate the GhostBed Mattress 20-year warranty over Purple’s 10-year warranty.
GhostBed continuously comes out on top when it comes to standing behind its mattress. The company promises to fully replace the mattress if found to have a defect in the first ten years of ownership to the original owner. For years 11 through 20 of ownership GhostBed provides additional coverage and protection, stating that they will either repair a defected mattress or replace it at a prorated cost.
Purple offers a 10-year limited warranty covering defects as detailed in their warranty guide. Their warranty only applies to original owner.
V. Trial Period
At only one extra day of trial period, GhostBed’s 101-night trial versus Purple’s 100-night is virtually the same. Both companies suggest that one sleeps on the mattress for at least 30 nights to get a real feel of comfort to make a truly informed decision. If there is a desire to return, both GhostBed and Purple will pick up the mattress at no cost and fully reimburse the consumer for the price paid for the bed – as long as the customer requested a return within the allotted trial period.
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $545 $409Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Remove Urine from Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets