GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
Last Updated on October 13, 2020
Bed-in-a-box mattresses have quickly become a popular option for consumers everywhere, due to their lower cost and ease of delivery. But with so many options to choose from, how do you select the perfect mattress for you?
GhostBed and Purple are two well-known brands in the space and are compared often by mattress review sites. In this article, we’ll pull from some of these review sites and aggregate some of the common notes when it comes to GhostBed and Purple prices, comfort levels and more.
Note: This comparison focuses on the original GhostBed and the original Purple Mattress. For added luxury and cooling features, GhostBed also offers higher-end models like the hybrid Flex, the ultra-cooling Luxe and the patented 3D Matrix.
Best Overall Mattress
As many reviewers have pointed out, GhostBed and Purple are very similar when it comes to basic memory foam mattresses. A common alternative to Purple, GhostBed’s mattresses are vacuum-sealed for delivery and need time to expand once you open the box. Both mattresses are made in the United States and land at about 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale.
But although they are similar in many ways, the biggest difference is in the feel of the two mattresses.
The Consensus - GhostBed vs. Purple
Most reviewers prefer the GhostBed for its slightly-firmer and balanced foam feel — especially those looking for pressure relief and a more affordable mattress. Thanks to the latex and memory foam blend, you’ll get a responsive and contoured-hug feel. The GhostBed is also denser, making it a better choice for heavier people who need more support.
|I. Price (Mattress Guides)||5.0||4.0|
|II. Materials/Durability (Real Mattress Reviews)||4.8||4.0|
|II. Comfort (Real Mattress Reviews)||4.9||4.2|
|IV. Warranty (Mattress Advisor)||10.0||9.0|
|V. Trial Period (Mattress Advisor)||10||9.0|
|Mattress Height||11" height||9.5" height|
Note: Mattress Guides and Real Mattress Reviews score out of a total of 5, while Mattress Advisor scores out of a total of 10.
GhostBed and Purple are close in pricing, although GhostBed definitely wins out as the more cost-effective option. GhostBed also offers many sales and specials throughout the year, driving the price down even more. Both offer free shipping.
Take a look at the comparisons below for all sizes:
|Twin XL||$795 $596||$749|
Longer but Narrow
Both The GhostBed and Purple Mattress are categorized as foam mattresses, although the more specific materials differ quite a bit.
You’ll find 3 layers within The GhostBed:
- High-density support foam
- Gel memory foam (for support, pressure relief and cooling)
- Aerated latex foam top layer (for cooling, pressure relief and bounce)
The cover is made from two materials, with the top 100% polyester and the side panels a blend of polyester and polypropylene.
The Purple Mattress, on the other hand, has two layers of polyurethane foam and a top layer of hyper-elastic polymer. The cover is a blend of viscose, polyester and polyester-lycra.
At 9.5 inches high (compared to The GhostBed’s 11.5”), the Purple Mattress lacks in stature as well as the hefty and durable 7.5” base layer that the GhostBed provides. This thicker and denser foam provides fantastic support and contouring, and is a better match for heavier people, as Real Mattress Reviews points out.
Purple is different in that its top layer is made with hyper-elastic polymer, built using Purple’s “smart grid” design. This gives it a totally unique feel that you might either love or hate. Real Mattress Reviews notes this as a con, as it hasn’t been around or tested long enough to prove the durability of the material. Additionally, they note that the grid design tends to collapse outward when you’re lying close to the edge of the mattress.
Both GhostBed and Purple beds have covers that look great and can be removed for cleaning. The mattresses can also be spot cleaned.
When shopping for a mattress, comfort is always a key factor. And although comfort can be subjective to each individual’s particular needs and wants, some specific elements come up time and time again.
The first is the firmness of the mattress, which is ranked on a scale of 1 (very soft) to 10 (very hard). Mattresses in the 5-7 range are typically categorized as a “universal” feel, meaning they’ll work for any sleeping style, including side, back and stomach. Both The GhostBed and the Purple Mattress are at a 6.5.
Reviewers also like to talk about the “bounce” and contouring effects of mattresses. The GhostBed gets high ratings for the pressure relief it provides, thanks to the 3 layers.
Real Mattress Reviews had this to say about GhostBed’s comfort:
“With the latex layer on top, GhostBed maintains good bounce, which makes it easier to adjust positions and not feel stuck.”
The review also points out the “coolness” factor, a big part of staying comfortable throughout the night:
“Foam mattresses can sleep warm. However, the design of the GhostBed with latex on top and gel memory foam on the bottom helps it disperse heat efficiently. I did not experience excessive heat at all.”
Purple offers cooling via the “smart grid” top layer, which allows for airflow. But as mentioned in the previous section, this layer provides a very unique sensation that you may or may not like. Mattress Clarity describes it as a “unique squishy gel feel.”
GhostBed’s 20-year warranty definitely comes out ahead when compared to Purple’s 10-year warranty.
Within the first 10 years of the warranty, GhostBed will fully replace the mattress if it’s found to have a defect. For years 11 through 20 of ownership, GhostBed provides additional coverage and protection, and will repair or replace your mattress at a prorated cost. (Learn more about GhostBed’s warranty here.)
Purple offers a 10-year limited warranty covering defects as detailed in their warranty guide.
IV. Trial Period
With one extra day, GhostBed’s 101-night trial versus Purple’s 100-night trial is virtually the same. GhostBed requires consumers to try out the mattress for 30 days, while Purple allows returns after 21 days. If you want to return your mattress, both GhostBed and Purple will pick up the mattress at no cost and fully reimburse you for the price paid for the bed—as long you request the return within the allotted trial period.
Explore GhostBed Mattresses
While this comparison focused exclusively on the original GhostBed, our other mattresses offer even more cooling comfort. Compare the mattresses and find the right one for you today!
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $595 $446Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets