How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Thinking about finally upgrading to an adjustable bed? With all of the comfort- and health-boosting benefits, it's a no-brainer to us!
But if you're wondering if you can pair an adjustable with your existing bed frame, you're not alone. It's one of the most common questions we get here at GhostBed. In this article, we'll share everything you need to know.
Overview: Pairing a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
There are two main types of bed frames: panel and platform. If you want to use a bed frame with an adjustable base, keep these tips in mind:
- Adjustable bases work well with most traditional bed frames. You can drop your base right into the bed frame as long as you're able to remove any panels or slats in the middle.
- If your frame features a solid surface in the middle—or panels or slats that you can't remove—you will need to find an adjustable base with “zero clearance.”
Will an Adjustable Base Fit Inside My Bed Frame?
To determine if an adjustable bed will fit in your bed frame, you'll need to take a close look at the construction of your frame. The two most common types of bed frames are “panel” frames and “platform” frames. Both can accommodate an adjustable—as long as a few important conditions are in place.
Can You Use an Adjustable Base with a Panel Bed?
Panel beds provide a four-wall “frame” for your bed, and space for a box spring or foundation to support your mattress. Although styles vary by manufacturer, you likely have a panel frame if you see:
- decorative features like a footboard, headboard or side rails
- few or no slats or panels across the middle
Adjustable bases work well with panel frames. If you're considering the GhostBed Adjustable Base, however, you'll need to make sure you can remove any inner panels or slats. Doing so will give you a wide-open area to drop the adjustable straight into the middle of the frame.
Can You Use an Adjustable Base with a Platform Bed?
With a platform bed base, you'll notice closely spaced slats or a solid surface meant to support your mattress directly. Some platform beds also include storage solutions or drawers, which can be a great way to maximize space.
The same rule applies here. If you want to use an adjustable base with your platform bed frame, you'll need to remove any solid surface, panels, slats or drawers in the middle of the frame. Once you've removed them, you can drop the adjustable right in.
After you remove the slats on your bed frame, you may see a small lip on the sides where the slats once laid. Don't worry—we've strategically placed the legs of the GhostBed Adjustable Base so that they won't run into the lip when you drop it in.
Adjustable Base & Bed Frame FAQ
Our Sleep Experts get a lot of inquiries about using adjustable bases with bed frames. Read on for some of the most frequently asked questions!
Do I Need to Use a Bed Frame with My Adjustable Base?
Nope. Using a separate bed frame is completely optional. The GhostBed Adjustable Base looks beautiful on its own, but some customers prefer the look of an added bed frame.
What is a “Zero Clearance” Adjustable Bed Frame?
If you love your particular bed frame but it doesn't allow you to remove the middle surface or slats, you're not out of luck. Although the GhostBed Adjustable Base won't work for you, look for an adjustable base elsewhere that's described as “zero clearance.” A zero clearance adjustable bed frame will allow you to remove the legs and place it directly on top of a solid base. The GhostBed Adjustable Base is not zero clearance.
Do I Need a Box Spring with an Adjustable Base?
Nope! The GhostBed Adjustable Base sits directly underneath your mattress. All you need is your mattress and the base, and you're all set.
Does the Height of the Bed Frame Matter?
If you have an adjustable that requires using the legs, like ours, you'll want to factor in the height of your frame's opening.
The GhostBed Adjustable Base comes with customizable legs, so you can stack or remove pieces to get the best height for you. Each leg section is 4”, giving you a choice of 4”, 8” or 12” total height. The base itself will also add a few inches:
- With 12” legs: 15” from floor to top of base
- With 8” legs: 11” from floor to top of base
- With 4” legs: 7” from floor to top of base
Can I Use a Bed Frame with a Split King Adjustable Base?
Absolutely! Pair your split king adjustable with a compatible king size bed frame for a cohesive look.
Can I Use a Bed Frame to Hide an Adjustable Base?
You sure can! Effectively "hide" your base by surrounding it with a beautiful bed frame of your choice.
Can I Use a Separate Headboard with an Adjustable Base?
Pulling It All Together
Ready to build your bedroom with GhostBed? Our luxury Adjustable Base works with mattresses of all types, including the entire GhostBed collection. Plus, you can bundle your order to save big.
Questions? Our Sleep Experts are ready to help with any other questions you might have!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets