Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
Last Updated on September 20, 2020
Getting great night’s sleep is imperative for living through productive days taking care of business and family. Along with a comfortable mattress it is a must to have a pillow that will fit your body and sleeping position in order to aid in a peaceful dreamy sleep. With a world of back, stomach, and side sleepers, a whopping 63 percent of people choose the side position to sleep in, according to Web MD. If you are one of the many sleepers preferring to sleep on the side, it is important to find a best pillow to go with your best mattress for side sleepers.
I: Comfort Level
II: Different Types Of Pillows
III: Specialty Pillows
IV: The Perfect Pillow for You
I: Comfort Level
Just as one should shop for a mattress, it is important to determine the comfort level of a pillow that is required to achieve the best sleep possible. Side sleepers require a different pillow firmness than back or stomach sleepers. Sleeping on the side means resting on your shoulder. This keeps the head higher than it would when sleeping on the back and stomach.
The pillow for a side sleeper must be firmer to hold the head in the proper position. Best pillows for side sleepers must be able to fill the space above the shoulder. This allows for the head to have a resting position that keeps it from bending awkwardly creating aches and pains.
II: Types Of Pillows
There are now numerous types of pillows designed specifically for one’s sleep position and distinct needs. Side sleepers all need added neck support but there are other factors to add in as well when seeking the type of pillow that will be the best. Allergies, noise, expense are all features that will help you to determine exactly what type of pillow will be the best fit for the side sleeper’s ultimate comfort.
Great dense pillow that molds with one’s contours allowing for the perfect comfort and support level needed to prevent aches.
|Best combination of support with comfort.||Memory foam can sometimes run hot for sleepers.|
|Reacts to the body, continuously shaping to the sleeper’s needs as he or she is moving throughout dream time.||When first unwrapped from packaging an unpleasant odor is often noticed.|
|Memory foam pillows (Like the GhostPillow) come in different shapes to specifically support the neck.|
|Cooling gel can be combined with memory foam to reduce heat in order to provide a cool sleep.|
The foam pillow is often confused with memory foam. Unlike the memory foam pillow, these pillows are created by using shredded or chopped up pieces of foam, often leftovers from solid memory foam mattresses and pillows.
|Less expensive option to the memory foam pillow||These pillows can be comfortable to begin with but may break down a quick faster causing the head to fall in an uncomfortable position.|
|Can be molded and formed to provide support for the head and neck.|
Rubber trees produce the substance that is used to make latex pillows. This is another type of pillow that is dense and can be manufactured as a contour pillow for neck support.
|The firmest of pillows that also molds to contours of head and neck.||Can be very costly.|
|Natural and biodegradable.|
|Naturally protects against insects.|
|Helps allergy sufferers with its natural resistance to dust mites, and mold.|
|Is manufactured without the use of harmful chemicals.|
Cotton is a totally natural product commonly used for pillow production.
|Naturally hypoallergenic, resisting mold and dust mites.||These pillows can be so firm that they flatten out to a hardened feel that is not so supportive.|
|Firm pillow||Poor contouring for the head and neck.|
|Soaks in moisture and night sweats becoming possible breeding ground for dust mites, and mold.|
Wool is a natural and breathable option for pillows.
|Wool plays double duty keeping you cool in the heat and warm in the cold.||Flattens with use.|
|Unlike cotton, wool will not soak in moisture from night sweats.||Does not contour well to provide needed support.|
Down pillows are literally like sleeping on a cloud of the softest feathers. These fluffy feathers come from the soft belly of a bird and do not have sharp quills.
|Down is natural and breathable allowing for a cooler sleep.||Need to be constantly shaked and fluffed to keep maintained.|
|Can be fluffed into position for sleep comfort.||Expensive so can be cost prohibitive.|
Feather pillows are a more affordable alternative to Down pillows. The difference is that Down pillow feathers come from the birds outside. These are feathers with quills that protect the birds.
|Flexible and easily molded to fill in contours for support.||Quills can poke through pillow casing and create discomfort.|
|Very durable.||Must shake and fluff consistently.|
|Feathers can flatten out during sleep.|
|May cause allergic reaction.|
The buckwheat pillow is crafted from using buckwheat hulls as stuffing. Once kernels are removed the hulls are roasted so that all dust is cleaned from them. They are then used to fashion into pillows.
|Natural and long lasting.||Buckwheat hulls can make noise when shifting through sleep time.|
|Inexpensive||Some people may be allergic.|
|Easily maliable to form into the contours of the neck and weight of head.||Can be heavier than other pillows.|
|Keeps an optimal temperature for a cool sleep.|
This is a newer pillow type using the polystyrene beads as fill commonly used to fill bean bags.
|Easily maliable to adapt to neck and head needs.||Can be overly firm.|
|Promotes air flow.||May have odor from beads.|
|If outer covering rips tiny beads can possibly be inhaled and cause breathing issues|
III: Specialty Pillows
Along with the standard pillow used to rest the head on, side sleepers can gain additional comfort by adding specialty pillows to help aid in peaceful dreams.
The body pillow is a head and specialty pillow all in one. Just like it sounds it wraps around the entire body to cradle it in comfort. This is the perfect pillow to hold the body comfortably in place as you sleep. It works wonderfully as an aid for pregnant woman to help have a more peaceful sleep.
Those sleeping on their sides will have knee upon knee. This causes the spine to be out of natural alignment. By placing a pillow between the knees, it raises the upper leg to a more natural position. The specialty knee pillows support the hip and spine reducing pressure, promoting better sleep, and less aches and pains.
Arm Rest Pillow
Much like the knee pillow keeps knees in their proper position for spine alignment, the arm rest pillow allows for the upper arm to be raised in place in a more natural position. This prevents from the shoulder dropping down and slouching. By supporting the upper arm the shoulder stays in its proper position and the spine is kept straight, allowing for less aches when rising from sleep.
IV: Ultimate Pillow For You
The type of pillow required for a side sleeper is more than just its fill. The pillow must be built in a way to fill in contours and work to act as a cradle for the neck. Side sleeper pillows often have panels sewn in to allow for needed support to keep the head aligned with the body.
The best pillows for side sleepers will be ultimately determined on individual needs and wants. With the many choices memory foam takes the lead as it retains its shape while also providing optimal support for the neck and head.
Keep in mind that experts suggest buying a new pillow every one to two years. Along with the fill of foam, or a cotton or wool batting becoming lumpy and out of shape, pillows also soak in the skin’s oils and dead hair. Non-allergenic pillows gather dust mites over time as well. With these things in mind it is important to maintain and replace pillows on a regular basis.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $595 $446Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets