9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
Last Updated on October 15, 2021
Sleep is extremely important when feeling sick as getting one’s rest is often the best medicine to heal. With a head that is pounding and stuffed up it is helpful to follow tips for sleeping while sick in order to achieve the allusive shuteye.
I. How Feeling Sick Affects Sleep
II. 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick
III. Pillow Support for Pregnant Sleepers
Attempting to find sleep when ill can be very difficult while battling a stuffy head and fever. Tossing and turning as the body fights to freak a fever or battle a migraine can hinder the ability to fall asleep.
Sleeping problems when sick is very common, but there are sleep tips that will help one find some relief. Utilizing some sleep tips while resting on a cool memory foam mattress will help the body heal as it drifts off to dreamland.
I. How Feeling Sick Affects Sleep
When feeling sick with the common cold or flu one can ache all over and feel like the head is going to explode from the congestion. With the congestion impeding breathing through the nose, causing one to breathe through the mouth, symptoms seem to get worse just as the body lays down to rest.
The aches and pains associated with a fever can cause major discomfort when the body is attempting to get much needed healing sleep. This is caused by the body releasing immune fighting factors into the bloodstream in an effort to mend itself.
Whether just a common cold, or an all-out flu, sleeping problems when sick is a universal issue that all ages must deal with throughout the world. Luckily these illnesses do have an end in sight when one knows they will be up and about again. To get through the stuffed up and achy stage it helps to use these 16 tips for sleeping while sick.
II. 9 Feeling Sick Sleep Tips
When treating sleep problem while sick one may first want to consult with a doctor to control pain and other issues that also may be working to disrupt slumber. Medications can be prescribed to work with a specific illness to help provide a respite from symptoms.
Unfortunately, there is usually no magic potions that will work to provide perfect relief. As a supplement to medicine there are several options one can try to help achieve a night of more peaceful sleep.
1) Quiet Please
Keeping noise down during sleep hours can help reduce stress and induce slumber. Make sure that the household understands the importance of keeping noise levels at bay when an ill one is sleeping. This includes loud TVs, music, talking, and alarms.
2) Hot Shower
The soothing hot shower can feel comforting on a body aching from an illness. The steamy shower also works wonderfully to clear congested nasal passages. After the shower put on comfy clean PJs and slip between the covers ready for sleep.
3) Salt Water Gargle
Grandma knows the best home remedies and salt is certainly at the top of the list. Simply by gargling with salt water is known to help decrease an upper respiratory tract infection that is causing dreaded congestion. Gargle with salt water several times a day and especially right before bedtime.
4) In the Dark
Although one does want to be aware as fare as treatments, it is vital to stay in the dark when it comes to finding a night of sleep. Make sure that the room has blackout window coverings to keep the morning sun from causing to wake too early, and to invite an afternoon nap.
5) Keep it Cool
Even those not suffering from illness struggle with a heated-up room keeping them awake. So, it stands to reason that an environment with a comfortable temperature will be more inviting for sleep. Keeping the room at a cooler temp can be soothing to help invite slumber. Even in a room that may have a bit more chill can provide more comfort when the sleeper is snug inside a comforter rather than kicking off bedding when woken in an overheated situation.
6) Watch Food and Drink
It is vital to stay hydrated as an avenue to healing but one should also make sure to avoid foods and drinks that may aggravate health and disrupt sleep, such as spicy foods and anything with caffeine. Chicken soup worked for grandma and it is the perfect remedy for a body fighting an illness.
Those who find that drinking liquids before bed only lead to waking for bathroom visits may wish to reduce fluids for a few hours before sleep. Be aware of what food and beverages may invite sleep – such as a cup of decaf herbal tea or warm milk, or even a treat of a freshly baked warm cookie.
7) Elevate the Head
Since the head gets even more congested when laying down it stands to reason that relief to sleep can be found simply by elevating the head. One can use a wedge pillow or prop a few pillows behind the head but for the most comfortable way to raise one’s head is to sleep on an adjustable bed frame. These bases work wonders for relieving body aches as well.
8) To Nap or Not to Nap
With sleep often the best medicine to getting over a sickness, the body often craves naps. It is important to listen to the body and give in to getting the rest it needs. It is often during these resting periods that a fever will break paving the way for wellness.
On the other hand, once the body begins healing, to assist in inviting a full night of sleep one may want to avoid the lure of a daytime nap. By skipping a nap the body will be more ready, and hopefully, more willing and able to achieve a full night of sleep.
9) Sleep Therapy
In addition to the medicine-free home remedies there are therapies that can be effective in helping one to find sleep. A trained sleep-disorder specialist can help using biofeedback, teaching relaxation exercises, and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
III. Conclusion: Sleep Better
Attempting to slumber while sick can often be difficult, but, ultimately, it can also be a best remedy to healing. Utilizing sleep tips will help in finding comfort for the body to drift off to dreamland.
In addition to using tips for sleeping while sick one will certainly find relief resting on a comforting GhostBed Luxe memory foam bed with cooling GhostBed pillows. The final sleep tip for comfort is slipping into a clean freshly made bed with quality sheets and bedding.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $845 $592Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets