Specific techniques can be used to remove wet and dried urine from your mattress. Learn out how by reading these tips from Ghostbed.com.
Whether in their own bed or in the family bed, with young children and pets, it is inevitable that eventually you will have to deal with pee on your lovely memory foam mattress. Even if you have a zipped off mattress cover, such as the GhostBed CertiPUR-US certified plush cover, you will still want to get that urine out before heading to the washing machine. The pee smell and stain may only get embedded when machine washing with standard detergent.
You will want to work fast to remove any urine that could be soaked into the mattress. The dreaded wet urine problem should be tackled immediately but do not fret if the stain is not found until dry. There are methods to remove both dried up and fresh pee and its stains from your mattress.
Along with a roll of paper towels a spray bottle, toothbrush and vacuum, all you will need is baking soda, and distilled white vinegar. Wet stains should be soaked up by blotting with paper towels as best as possible. Be sure to not press the towels hard onto spots as this may push the urine deeper into mattress.
- To get out the stench of the urine smell you will want to use the vinegar full strength. Spraying the vinegar soak the areas of the mattress that have been affected by the urine. For tough stained area use a toothbrush to rub the vinegar in. Open the windows and run a fan as you let the vinegar set for five to 10-minutes.
- Using layers of fresh paper toweling soak up the vinegar from the mattress.
- Take the baking soda and sprinkle it over stained areas until covered. Now take a break to let the baking soda set in for at least a couple of hours. Leave the soda on spots for as long as possible. The baking soda will begin to clump up as it soaks in the vinegar. This is what removes the vinegar along with odor.
- Use your vacuum to clean up the dried baking soda from the mattress going over the bed until all the soda is removed
In addition to using paper towels to blot a stain that is wet, you will need hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish detergent, a bowl and spray bottle. Mix together in the bowl 10-ounces of hydrogen peroxide with 3-tablespoons of baking soda and a couple of drops of ordinary dish detergent. Then pour the mixture into your spray bottle. To prevent from foaming you do not want to mix directly in spray bottle.
- Simply spray entire urine stained areas so that they are completely covered with solution.
- Open windows and turn on fan to ventilate as you let mixture set in for at least an hour.
- Once mixture is dry you should see that any urine stain and smell is totally removed.
Special Enzyme cleaners are on the market in both liquid and powder form that are made to specifically attack urine stains. In addition to your enzyme cleaner of choice you will need paper towels to blot wet areas, baking soda and a vacuum. Blot up any wet stains with paper towels and you can sprinkle baking soda as well for drenched areas. Once the baking soda has dried up brush it off of the area before proceeding.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used full strength, but poring it onto a mattress will just soak through layers of memory foam creating a drying nightmare. Instead mix up a recipe to create a stain removing paste.
- Put biological enzyme wash in spray bottle. Make a solution with a dry powder form and water or use a straight liquid form that is available in pet stores.
- Spray enzyme solution directly onto stained areas and let it set in for 5-minutes. Take note to also read recommended instructions on the detergent packaging as well. Open windows and use a fan to ventilate room.
- After you have let the solution sit for appropriate time blot up wetness with paper towels.
- Sprinkle baking soda so that it completely covers stained wet areas. Let it set for 18-hours or more.
- Once baking soda is finished doing its job, vacuum it completely up and air out mattress before making up bed.
Remember that any of these methods can be repeated numerous times to ensure that the urine issue is removed as best as possible. If one method is not working for you then try another. Once you have removed the pee stain you will want to stay ahead of any future urine problems. Before making up the bed use a sealed waterproof mattress protector on a child’s bed. A waterproof mattress protector can easily be placed anywhere such as on a parents’ bed, sofa or taken along when traveling.