Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
Last Updated on September 26, 2022
Do you have a child? Read our comprehensive guide on getting your kid to sleep, along with the best mattress to buy for children.
I. Sleeping Benefits for Kids
II. Sleeping Positions for Kids
III. Sleeping Tips for Kids
IV. Sleeping FAQ’s for Kids
V. GhostBed Reviews for Kids
Everyone needs sleep, but even more important is that children need the right amount of mattress hours in order to help them develop and grow mentally and physically. It is vital to get the best mattress for kids, as experts’ state that 40 percent of childhood is spent sleeping.
Different stages of childhood need varying amounts of sleep. Guidelines showcase that as a child grows their sleep pattern will change and adjust. Caregivers should be aware to make sure that a child is getting the proper number of hours sleep that he or she needs. Babies require the most amount of sleep and then the hours drop off from there. In order to get the best sleep possible, it is a must to get the mattress that will best promote a good night’s sleep for your kid.
I. Sleeping Benefits for Kids
Sleeping is extremely important in promoting growth, so obviously, the growing child will greatly benefit from the best night’s sleep possible. For the first few years of life it is important for the child’s quality of life to have naptime as well. With the growth hormone generally produced during the night, parents sometimes have actually witnessed overnight growth spurts.
Children need quality sleep to stay healthy and protect themselves from dangerous cholesterol levels that could lead to vascular damage. Kids who have trouble sleeping, and cannot sleep through the night, have been seen to have higher stress levels. This can lead to an elevated blood glucose and cortisol levels, which in turn can lead to diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. In addition, proteins called cytokines, that each body needs to fight off infection, illness, and stress, are produced during sleeping hours. Those who have too little sleep can be more prone to get sick.
Sleep helps beat germs
During sleep, children (and adults) also produce proteins known as cytokines, which the body relies on to fight infection, illness, and stress. (Besides battling illness, they also make us sleepy, which explains why having the flu or a cold feels so exhausting. It forces us to rest, which further aids the body’s ability to heal.) Too little sleep appears to impact the number of cytokines on hand. And it’s been found that adults who sleep fewer than seven hours per night are almost three times more likely to develop a cold when exposed to that virus than those who sleep eight or more hours. While there’s little data on young children, studies of teens have found that reported bouts of illness declined with longer nightly sleep.
Maintaining Healthy Weight
If it appears that the little one is getting chubbier beyond the normal child cuteness it could be an indication that your child has not been sleeping well or enough. Often parents mistake a baby’s cry at night to give them a bottle when the infant is only asking to be swaddled. It is important for caregivers to understand that they should not use food to sooth. The child will learn, from being trained, to fall asleep from a soothing song or cradling. This will give them a better chance of enjoying a healthy night’s sleep and maintaining a healthy weight. It is also important to understand that children, as with everyone, who are not well rested will tend to crave foods that are rich in carbs and, thus, cause weight gain.
II. Sleeping Positions for Kids
Back for Infants
For safety, it is important to put the newborn on his or her back when it is sleep time. By placing the baby on the back, it will reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. SIDS is said to cause more deaths for infants in their first year of life than anything else. It has been determined that back sleeping is the healthiest with the belief that a baby placed on his or her stomach may have more trouble receiving oxygen, and have issues breathing, as mouth and nose can be impeded by bedding. This is recommended for the first year of life so once the baby is rolling over, guardians should coax them to the back position again.
This is a super calming yoga pose named for the common way one views a sleeping child. The little ones older than a year, and not so little ones, will sleep on their stomach dropped between spread legs pulled up as if in kneeling position, causing the cute tushie to stick up towards the air. The face will rest sideways on pillow or mattress. Children may like this pose for sleeping since it is known to be good for digestion.
III. Sleeping Tips for Kids
- Self-soothing from as early as newborn should be encouraged. This is a savior for parents as well who need their rest. During feeding you will want to make sure that there is no dosing off. Then make sure to tuck the baby into bed when still awake. This is when patience will be a virtue for you. If crying during the night slowly reduce the response time as the baby gets older. Eventually your little one will understand how to self-sooth in order to fall back to sleep on his or her own.
- Children need and want routine, despite what they may plead with you. Bedtime should be consistent and at a respectable hour sometime before 9 p.m. Experts have concluded that children going to bed after 9 p.m. have more difficulty falling and staying asleep.
- A blanky or small stuffed toy can help the child older than an infant find comfort in order to fall and stay asleep. There is nothing wrong with encouraging this connection. Many children find this bedtime object so comforting that they carry it into adulthood.
- Bedtime stories are a wonderful way to connect with your child as well as the perfect opportunity for quiet time before going to bed. Not only do stories serve as learning tools but they also provide soothing words to help the child drift off to sleep.
How much sleep do kids need?
Experts have spoken up creating approximate recommendations for sleep for newborns to young adults. The National Sleep Foundation has created a chart as a guide to help those caring for kids.
|14 to 17 hours||11 to 13 hours
18 to 19 hours
|Less than 11 hours
More than 19 hours
|12 to 15 hours||10 to 11 hours
16 to 18 hours
|Less than 10 hours
More than 18 hours
|11 to 14 hours||9 to 10 hours
15 to 16 hours
|Less than 9 hours
More than 16 hours
|Preschoolers||10 to 13 hours||8 to 9 hours
|Less than 8 hours
More than 14 hours
|School-aged children||9 to 11 hours||7 to 8 hours
|Less than 7 hours
More than 12 hours
|Teenagers||8 to 10 hours||7 hours
|Less than 7 hours
More than 11 hours
When to move child from crib to bed?
Although there is no specific age to move the child out of the crib, generally it will fall somewhere between the ages of one-and-a-half and 3-and-a-half. There is no rush. It all depends on your child’s needs and wants. If they are climbing out of the crib they will be climbing out of bed even easier. Most parents will wait till between two and three years of age. When you do make the transition, have the little ones involved with the excitement of buying a new kids mattress. Make sure to put up bed rails as part of the transition for security to prevent the child from rolling in their sleep and falling out of bed.
V. GhostBed Reviews for Kids
Children, like adults, must get the proper support from a mattress that is the perfect comfort for enticing the best sleep. For safety reasons, infants should have a mattress that is not overly soft. A memory foam mattress will allow for optimal support that a firm bed will give, but also enough softness to support the contours of the body.
GhostBed is an ideal mattress for kids, with real customers reviewing their experience
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $995 $697Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- Sleeping With Your Legs Elevated: Is It a Bad Idea?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dorm Shopping 101: Selecting the Best Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress