How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on June 19, 2022
You likely already know that you spend almost a third of your life sleeping. Now, think about what your mattress goes through during all that time. It’s a lot! And—let’s face it—accidents may happen along the way.
Whether you had a cut or scab, your kid hopped on the bed with a bloody nose, or Aunt Flo showed up when you weren’t expecting her, knowing how to remove blood stains from your mattress is a handy trick to know.
Here, we will share some simple ways to get blood stains out of a mattress and also provide some tips on how to keep your mattress clean to prevent any further accidents.
Overview: How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- Keep it cool. Always use cold water when removing a blood stain; hot water may set the stain even further.
- Dab, don’t rub. Rubbing can actually spread the stain and make the situation worse.
- Reach for a more powerful cleaner, if needed. Enzymatic cleaners and ammonia are two powerful cleaners you can use to clean blood stains off your mattress.
- Be proactive against stains. Mattress protectors help protect your mattress from accidents.
Preparing to Remove a Blood Stain From Your Mattress
Before we dive into all the supplies you will need to get blood stains out of your mattress, let’s look at some tips to help you succeed even before you bust out all the cleaning supplies.
The first thing to note is to always use cold water. Warm or hot water will actually make the situation worse as it can set the stain forever! Instead, use cold water, which will help flush out the stain.
Next, always dab instead of rub. This is the case with most stain removal, including getting dirt, sweat, or urine out of a mattress. Rubbing can actually spread the stain and make the situation worse.
To prepare, strip the bed of all the bedding and pillows, which you can wash separately. Once your bed is clear, you are ready to tackle the task of removing a blood stain from your mattress.
How to Get Fresh Blood Out of a Mattress
If you can get to the stain right away, we recommend starting with a gentle approach. Blood dissolves in cold water, so this can be your first go-to. Simply dab the blood stain with a cloth dipped in cold water until the stain is totally removed—just be careful not to soak or oversaturate the mattress while you do this.
If the stain isn’t budging, reach for the baking soda. Here’s how to use baking soda to remove blood stains from a mattress:
- First, dab the stain with cold water like we mentioned above. The trick is to try to absorb as much moisture out of the stain as possible before you even start cleaning.
- Next, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda onto the stain and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Baking soda is great for removing moisture naturally.
- Lastly, clean off the baking soda by dabbing it again with your (cold) wet cloth.
- Repeat these steps as many times as needed to remove the stain.
How to Get Dried Blood Out of a Mattress
Removing dried blood from a mattress may be a bit more challenging, but not impossible. For stubborn blood stains, we recommend a mix of table salt and hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used at full strength, but pouring it directly onto the mattress will just soak through the layers of memory foam and will take forever to dry. Instead mix up a recipe to create a stain-removing paste. Here’s how:
- Create a paste using about ½ cup corn starch, ½ cup hydrogen peroxide and about a tablespoon of salt. You can adjust the mixture as you need, but it should be about the consistency of toothpaste.
- Before applying the paste to the blood stain, dampen the stain with cold water.
- Apply the paste onto the entire stain using a spoon, spatula or soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes. The paste will dry and the hydrogen peroxide will start to bubble.
- When the hydrogen peroxide bubbles stop, dab the stain again with a clean, damp cloth to remove both the stain and the solution.
- Let the mattress air dry completely before putting any bedding back on.
How to Get Period Blood Out of a Mattress
Period blood is one of the most common mattress stains, and it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Luckily, it’s easy to clean—as long as you get to it quickly, before it has a chance to set. To clean a period stain, make a paste with about ½ cup cornstarch, ½ cup hydrogen peroxide and about a tablespoon of salt. Dampen the stain with cold water, and then apply the paste to it. Let sit for about 30 minutes while it starts to bubble. When the hydrogen peroxide bubbles stop, dab the stain again with a clean, damp cloth to remove both the stain and the solution.
Other Options to Get Blood Stains Out of Your Mattress
The DIY solutions we shared are great in a pinch, but having a commercial-grade cleaner on hand is also a good option. Below are a few more options for removing blood stains from mattresses, as well as one to steer clear of.
The fabric cleaners you see in the laundry aisle at the grocery store are most likely enzymatic cleaners. These popular solutions work by breaking down the stain, which then makes it easier to remove. Look for an enzymatic cleaner that’s specifically made for upholstery, fabrics or mattresses. That way, you know it won’t do further damage. Spray or pour on a towel or rag, and use that to blot the area—do not apply directly to your mattress. Let it air dry, and then follow with a vacuum to get rid of any residue.
When you have a heavy duty stain, ammonia is another powerful cleaner to try. For this method, mix a tablespoon of ammonia with about a cup of cold water (a little goes a long way here!). Dip a towel into the ammonia mixture and dab the stain. Repeat until the stain is gone.
Note: Wear gloves and open a window if you’re going to try this!
Although it may sound strange, using meat tenderizer—yes, the same seasoning mixture you use to make your steaks tastier—works to break down the proteins in blood. To try it, create a paste of meat tenderizer and cold water, and pat it on top of the stain. Cover and let sit for one hour. Then, remove by dabbing with a dry towel.
You may have heard about using Coca-Cola, or any similar carbonated cola, to remove blood stains. It may sound a little strange, but does it work? The idea is that the carbonation and phosphoric acid in cola work together to break down stains. While we haven’t tried it ourselves, there are plenty of people that vouch for it for cleaning blood stains from clothes and sheets. However, we do not recommend using this method to remove blood from a memory foam mattress, since you’re not able to fully wash it afterward.
Always, always, always make sure you let your wet mattress air-dry completely before replacing any covers or bedding! Open a window or set up a fan nearby if needed. Sunlight also works, if you’re able to get the mattress outside.
Protecting Your Mattress from Blood and Other Stains
Of course, you can’t completely prevent stains on your mattress, but there are a few things you can do to protect your mattress and keep it clean.
One of the first things you should do is invest in a high-quality mattress protector. A mattress protector provides an extra layer of protection against spills, stains and accidents. Our GhostProtector mattress cover has a super-soft knit top for quiet breathability and provides a waterproof layer built to last.
You could also consider getting a mattress topper, which is another layer that goes on top of your mattress. While traditional mattress toppers aren’t waterproof or as protective as mattress protectors, you can use a mattress topper and a mattress protector together. The GhostBed Memory Foam Topper is an all-in-one option, with its comforting gel memory foam and waterproof cover included.
Build Your Bedroom with GhostBed
Now that you know how to take care of your mattress and remove even the toughest blood stains, let’s help you build your bedroom set with GhostBed. Check out some of our best-loved products below to protect your mattress and sleep more soundly!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $945 $662Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Mattress-in-a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- What is a Split King Mattress & Is it Worth It?
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Why Mattresses Sag (and What to Do About It)
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: The Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia (+ Tips for Great Sleep)
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What Is the Best Side to Sleep on for Your Health?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Does Thread Count Really Matter?
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Guide: How to Choose the Right Size & Weight
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress